What's new

Gonna get me a car for Xmas (1 Viewer)

Matt Souza

Agent
Just my .02 here, but my family has had no problems with the Dodge/Chryslers/Jeeps that we have owned. I have a 01 Dakota with almost 100K on it, no major work needed, my sister had a jeep grand cherokee, my mom also had a cherokee, and my dad has been through 3 Dodge rams, towing a 18,000lb trailer, never had a problem with any of them.

maybe we're just lucky, YMMV

matt

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Matt,

So much depends on how well you maintain the car that even some brands with less than stellar reliability records can hold up a long time if well cared for.

One of Motor Trend's car of the year "lemons" was the infamous Chevrolet Corvair. These became famous for all kinds of problems and launched Ralph Nader on the road to becoming a legend in his own mind. I owned one that I purchased used at 43k miles and got another 100k out of it with no major problems.

Occasionally one will slip thru that is junk no matter how well you maintain it, early Hyundais and early Neons come to mind, but in general just about anything can be made to last if you learn the particular quirks and needs of the model.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
As I've said before, I really beat up my Jeep, so I don't really hold them accountable for that. I think I'll probably take care of my next car a lot better. So far, everyone I know that has a Magnum really likes it...that word of mouth is important to me.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Everyone will have their own experiences and formulate their own allegiences. I had an Acura Integra that I drove off the lot with 3 miles on it back in 1989 and that car lasted me until May of 2000. For some strange reason, I decided on an Audi A4 in May of 2000. After 4 1/2 years of relatively uninspired driving and moderate reliability (My Audi factory CD changer needed replacing three times in 4 years and my catalytic converter repair was quoted at over $1,000), the car was stolen last week, saving me the need to figure out a way to dump it.

I will be buying Acura's for the rest of my days from here on out I think. Currently looking at the TSX.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
My friend has a 3 year old 1500 RAM pickup that he beats on daily and the car has been very reliable. I don't recall it being in the shop ever ...

I like the Magnum myself, much better than the 300, definetelly check it out. The price is right as well.

Phil_L

Second Unit

Good call Evan. I used Schaller Acura in Manchester and was very pleased. Good luck!!!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My bro has a 2004 black TSX with body kit and Navigation. He loves it, girls love it, his buds love it. :D It's a very solid car with all the bells and whistles if you want.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, me too. I just find the price to be within reason, and I like the fact that it's American.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of which cars are actually made in the USA?

I think several Toyota models are and probably many others. On the flip side, how many "American" cars are built outside of the USA?

Joel C

Screenwriter
Most "American" cars are built in Mexico. Many Japanese cars (including most Civics and other models) are built in America, with 90 percent American-made parts.

"Buy American" isn't what it once was thanks to the Big 3 automakers moving so many of their factories out of the states. My brother's Civic is more American than your average Ford Focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks