What's new

Gone with the Wind: Buy now or wait? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Should I buy the current DVD of "Gone with the Wind" or wait for a special edition, as the 65th anniversary is in 2004 and Warner has plans to release several 2-disc sets per year.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While you can get the current DVD for cheap (14.99), it's a mess.

There's DVNR and ringing all over the place, plus there's only a trailer for an extra.

I'd look for a cheap copy if you REALLY want it, but I'd wait for an SE, which will probably happen in the near future.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
There's DVNR and ringing all over the place, plus there's only a trailer for an extra.
That's funny.. the R2 copy that I have looks glorious, truly marvellous. Is this another digital video restoration job? And if the video has been improved, then why doesn't R1 get this transfer?

I remember there being a thread about long lost deleted scenes of Gone with the Wind being found, and under negotiation for a future DVD release.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The reason why the R1 DVD is inferior is because it's one of the very first MGM-Turner DVD's (so old, it actually came in a MGM snapper!).

It's not WB's fault, but I'd expect an SE to use this better transfer.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I've heard that there is some footage of the wall from King Kong being burned down during the filming of GWTW. It was purposely burned down during the burning of Atlanta scenes. As a huge KK fan, I'd love to see that footage on a 2nd disc of extras!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I'm positive it wasn't one of the very first MGM-Turner DVD's. I got it when it was first released in a non-snapper MGM case after the theatrical re-release which was June 1998, so it came out months after that. It became a snapper when WB got the rights to it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
dan you can see that bit IN THE FILM

if you find the WONDERFUL documentary "Making of a Legend : Gone With The Wind" you can see the raw footage of the set being torn down while aflame.

I have it on LD so if you have a player you should look for a copy.

Any SE of GWTW should be 3 discs, the movie on two, then a third disc with MOAL:GWTW and the rest of the extras from the CAV box set (one movie, 5 discs, those were the days)

That set had several trailers, footage from reissue premieres and the foreign opening which explained what the civil war was...

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
if you find the WONDERFUL documentary "Making of a Legend : Gone With The Wind" you can see the raw footage of the set being torn down while aflame.
Does anyone have an idea of what this LD is worth? I managed to find one the other day for what I thought was a pretty reasonable price. I intend to watch it and then swap it for something else, unless it really grabs me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks