What's new

Goldsmith - GLADIATOR rejected score? (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't believe so, Patrick. I could be wrong, though. It would have been better if Goldsmith did the score. I loathe Hans Zimmer's over-the-top style.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
No, well, yes... just not for Ridley Scott's movie. It was rejected for the 1992 Cuba Gooding Jr. boxing drama, also titled Gladiator.
I agree with, Tom, though. Wish he bloody well had scored Scott's movie.
Dan (UK)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It would have been better if Goldsmith did the score.
I don't think you'll ever see Goldsmith score another Ridely Scott film after what happened with both Alien and Legend.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I agree and disagree with the opinions stated on Zimmer's score.
1) I agree that his scores usually tend to go over the top, and therefore are better suited to relatively brainless but entertaining BIG action films (so that you can hear the music over the explosions :) )
2) I also find the Gladiator score to be my favorite Zimmer score. I think it's because of his partnership with Lisa Gerrard. Getting someone else in there to add a new sound to the increasingly cliche Zimmer riffs was really nice. I think Gerrard's and Zimmer's styles mixed really well to create a very nice album.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
What happened?
Most of Goldsmiths score for Alien was either not used at all in the film or it was used in different scenes for which they were written. In other cases, music that had been temp-tracked on the print (from Goldsmith's own score to Freud) wound up in place of new music he had written for the movie. The end credit cue that he wrote (which is re-recorded all the time) is not even in the movie. Instead, an excerpt from Howard Hansons's 2nd Symphony ("The Romantic") is played at the end.
On Legend, Goldsmiths entire score was thrown out when the film was released in the US, and replaced with a new score by Tangerine Dream.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Hubert

Second Unit
I thought Zimmer's Gladiator score was absolutely incredible. Great stuff indeed. Never cared for Goldsmith. I love John Williams. I also thought Zimmer's The Rock score and the Pearl Harbor score were very good as well. I didn't care for the Armageddon score. I think he did that one too. He does most of Bays' movies.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
On Legend, Goldsmiths entire score was thrown out when the film was released in the US, and replaced with a new score by Tangerine Dream.
To be fair, I think that had more to do with the fact that Tom Cruise was in the film and movie executives wanted a more modern sounding soundtrack. He did get on the European version, tho I think it suffered some of the indignaties that his Alien score did.
I'm looking forward to the new Legend DVD. I have Goldsmith's soundtrack and I'm interested in hearing it in context.
Jason
------------------
My DVD Collection

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I didn't care for the Armageddon score. I think he did that one too.
No, that was Trevor Rabin and Harry Gregson Williams. Zimmer scored only a fraction of the Pearl Harbour score too, though took credit for all of it which didn't make him too popular. Ironicaly what's good in the PH score is usualy found to be the work of (I think) Steve Jablonsky.
Dan (UK)

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I think Hanz Zimmer's GLADIATOR score is outstanding. One of the best scores of the last 10 years.
With LEGEND, it was the studio that replaced the score. Not Scott, who objected. Goldsmith's score will be restored into the Ridley Scott director's cut.
icon14.gif

But it isn't all that great. It's a good score, but not comparible to his best work.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Yeah, this Morpheus guy's thinking of that terrible 1992 boxing movie GLADIATOR (directed by the guy who did Patrick Swayze's magnum opus ROAD HOUSE).
There's an excellent bootleg CD of Goldsmith's rejected score available (paired with his score for HOOSIERS). It's pretty good and much better than what actually ended up in the film (by Brad Fiedel).

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't there a Goldsmith score for 2001 that was thrown out as well? I heard that Kubrick used the classical pieces for the temp score and liked them so much he kept them in.
As a side note: I recently got a copy of the rejected Ennio Morricone score for "What Dreams May Come" and it is fantastic.
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs
--'What', then 'ever', immediately followed by 'dude'--

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
quote: That was Alex North.[/quote]
My bad. You are correct sir.
Goldsmith 'did' have rejected scores for Alien Nation (which parts of turned up in The Russia House of all places.) and 2 Days in the Valley.
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs
--'What', then 'ever', immediately followed by 'dude'--
[Edited last by Roby Adams on November 16, 2001 at 11:51 PM]

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Wasn't there a Goldsmith score for 2001 that was thrown out as well?
As stated above, that was Alex North, but Jerry Goldsmith conducted North's score for the Varese Sarabande release.
Neil
------------------

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
As a side note: I recently got a copy of the rejected Ennio Morricone score for "What Dreams May Come" and it is fantastic.
Where did you get it from? On what format? CD? Tape?
I've been dying to hear Morricone's score, how did you manage to come across it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks