What's new

Goldmember and XXX Release Dates (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
In case you didn't know, XXX and Goldmember release dates have been anounced. Heres the info if you didn't already know:
Austin Powers in Goldmember - (New Line) - December 17
XXX - (Columbia TriStar) - December 26
No specs or features known yet.

To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Damn, I know that they work to make the DVD's nearly just as soon as the movie is completed, but Nov 17 is only 6 months away.

On top of that, the thread title to the uneducated looks like your looking forward to pr0n! :b

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is this just further evidence that theatrical releases are almost an afterthought? 6 month window-these are getting shorter and shorter. Next thing we know-simeltaneous DVD and theatrical releases?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Not so much an afterthought, but more than ever I think they are being considered but one piece of the puzzle. Whereas in the past (early VHS) the home video market was considered a bonus, now it is an assumption.

Consider the extensive amount of documentary material being collected for LotR. They are thinking of the DVD release extensively during production.

However, I haven't seen any evidence that they are not optimizing their release for theatrical viewing. If they were, I wouldn't expect to see any scope films anymore, or we would see more movies that are *shudder* more convientient for pan and scanning.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The video releases so close to the theatrical release is to keep the momentum from the initial marketing push going.

DanR

Supporting Actor
So given the extensive planning & shortening window from theater to home video, does anyone want to venture a guess as to when Star Wars Episode II will be officially announced for November 26? I really want to see the disc specs for that DVD release.

Regards,
Dan

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I asume that we will get the specs for Episode 2 around August/September.
I think you can expect a realy nice package but I realy hope that Lucasfilms does put dts on it but that will probably never happen.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Well, there's some preliminary information over at theforce.net. Nothing too earth shattering or detailed, but more information than I've seen in the past. One thing to note is that it says multiple commentaries, including cast. If I remember correctly, Episode 1 had one commentary that was edited together and did not have any actors participating.

Regards,
Dan

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Based on the trailer for "XXX" I'd say it'll be on video sooner than that. Oops! Did I say that out loud just now?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think it's obvious that some movie release schedules are planned in such a way as to make more money for the Home Video Release than the Theatrical Release.

One such recent movie that seems to have been planned that way is Scooby-Doo. The producers of that movie had already announced that the DVD would be out in October. When the movie garnered near 60 million in its opening weekend, they seemed to be just as shocked as anybody else.

They're probably on pace now for a 140 million (or more) domestic box office, followed by a 200 million (or more) DVD/VHS home release. This is not even counting the resurgence in the sale of the six Scooby-Doo 90 minute animated straight-to-video features. This would be comparable to releasing a new Land Before Time theatrical feature and having it hit big after 15 years of straight-to-video animated sequels.

No wonder they've already announced a theatrical sequel!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Scooby-Doo (and I emphasize the Doo)needs all the marketing it can get. So, instead of having to pay to market the DVD all over-again, by the time it just gets out of the theaters it's out on DVD already.

As far as Ep2 features go, you can bet all the web-documentaries will be on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks