Going to best buy tomorrow, upgrading my receiver. Tell me if these two are good....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 9, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I am upgrading from a Kenwood vr-209 receiver.
    I was looking at these 2 in best buy. I am mainly looking for DTS and optical inputs.
    Sony 500-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver with Preprogrammed Remote — STR-DE675
    100 watts x 5; 32-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding; 32-bit DSP; Digital Cinema Sound; 5.1-channel inputs - $299
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
    &
    Sony 500-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode — STR-DE875
    100 watts x 5; 32-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding; 32-bit DSP; Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode; Digital Cinema Sound - $399
    Now on my kenwood vr-209 my subwoofer plugs into an outlet and i have a monster cable going from subwoofer to subwoofer input on receiver. I am assuming these new ones have that... Is my subwoofer powered or non powered, i get it confused..
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
    Are those receivers any good?

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

The 675 recently was chosen as a recommended budget reciever from either The Perfect Vision or The Sensible Sound ( I forget which).
    Personally, I would go with Yamaha's offering at $299. I think you'd find a better quality there, but that's just me!
    Your sub is powered,btw [​IMG]
    Good luck and let us know.
    Matt

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

4. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

what's good about yamahas offering? Does best buy carry them?
    Where is a good webpage that reviews receivers?

5. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Todd,
    Here's a good site for Starters, sure others will have others also.
    Audio Review [​IMG]

6. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you will find that any of those receivers will actually put out their rated power with all 5 channels driven. Especially the non ES Sony's.

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Todd, have you considered the Kenwood VR-507? It's available at Circuit City for $300 and in addition to DD and DTS it also offers DPL II and Circle Surround. It also has optical and coaxial inputs, 4 S-video inputs and a very nice remote.

IMO, the Kenwood is a quality product that offers the best bang for your buck at this price point.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy....enjoy!

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

9. RyanMM

RyanMM Extra

I think John Garcia gave you the best advice by steering you to Marantz & Onkyo. 2 reliable brands as far as receivers go. To give you a point of reference I have a Denon, but have audtioned recievers from both Marantz & Onkyo.
    If you are really sold on a Sony, I will make a suggestion order one from the DExxx line not the DBxxx line b/c the DE line uses higher quality parts (in some cases the same that you would find in the ES line) You will have to go to a A/V dealer or order online (www.onecall.com is a good place to start)

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Thanks to those that helped me last night. I went from a kenwood vr-209 to a vr-507

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i third that statement. dont trust the power ratings on low-end receivers!!