What's new

Going to best buy tomorrow, upgrading my receiver. Tell me if these two are good.... (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I am upgrading from a Kenwood vr-209 receiver.
I was looking at these 2 in best buy. I am mainly looking for DTS and optical inputs.
Sony 500-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver with Preprogrammed Remote — STR-DE675
100 watts x 5; 32-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding; 32-bit DSP; Digital Cinema Sound; 5.1-channel inputs - $299
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
&
Sony 500-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode — STR-DE875
100 watts x 5; 32-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding; 32-bit DSP; Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode; Digital Cinema Sound - $399
Now on my kenwood vr-209 my subwoofer plugs into an outlet and i have a monster cable going from subwoofer to subwoofer input on receiver. I am assuming these new ones have that... Is my subwoofer powered or non powered, i get it confused..
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4
Are those receivers any good?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
The 675 recently was chosen as a recommended budget reciever from either The Perfect Vision or The Sensible Sound ( I forget which).
Personally, I would go with Yamaha's offering at $299. I think you'd find a better quality there, but that's just me!
Your sub is powered,btw :)
Good luck and let us know.
Matt

todd stone

Screenwriter
what's good about yamahas offering? Does best buy carry them?
Where is a good webpage that reviews receivers?

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you will find that any of those receivers will actually put out their rated power with all 5 channels driven. Especially the non ES Sony's.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Todd, have you considered the Kenwood VR-507? It's available at Circuit City for $300 and in addition to DD and DTS it also offers DPL II and Circle Surround. It also has optical and coaxial inputs, 4 S-video inputs and a very nice remote.

IMO, the Kenwood is a quality product that offers the best bang for your buck at this price point.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy....enjoy!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think you will find that any of those receivers will actually put out their rated power with all 5 channels driven. Especially the non ES Sony's.
I'll have to second this.

Yamah has a unique sound to it, and their lower end receivers are not nearly as well built as their higher end ones, but in the price range, a Yamaha will be a better receiver. You should also look at Onkyo TX-DS494 or the Marantz SR4200.

RyanMM

Grip
I think John Garcia gave you the best advice by steering you to Marantz & Onkyo. 2 reliable brands as far as receivers go. To give you a point of reference I have a Denon, but have audtioned recievers from both Marantz & Onkyo.
If you are really sold on a Sony, I will make a suggestion order one from the DExxx line not the DBxxx line b/c the DE line uses higher quality parts (in some cases the same that you would find in the ES line) You will have to go to a A/V dealer or order online (www.onecall.com is a good place to start)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks