What's new

Glitter sets DVD sales record??? (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I was listening to Kevin & Bean, the morning radio show on KROQ 106.7 here in Southern California. They were doing their showbiz news when they mentioned this interesting piece of information. They said that Glitter had recorded ZERO - that's 0, zippo, nada - sales in it's first week of release. I was waiting for them to give their source on this and it turned out to be from some email they received. That pretty much confirmed for me that this is a bit exaggerated but still, if it was true.... Oh, and just to be clear, I may not like Mariah Carey but I also hold no grudges against her or anything. I just think this would be very funny if true.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd be thrilled if it didn't sell anything. I do hate Mariah. I think she's overrated and undertalented. I do however think she has enough fans that Glitter sold some copies. Just not likely many.

Worst selling DVD ever would be sweet, but I'm sure that title is already held by something else.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I always wondered if the sales totals included the sales of the copies that video stores are renting? If not, why?

Rob T

Screenwriter
yeah her lambs (thats what she calls her fans) are pretty dedicated to her so they definitely bought it.
anybody see her on MTV's Cribs? :laugh:

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Now... if she'd had an all-nude lesbian sex scene in Glitter, I'd have bought it just so I could do the ole' one-handed freeze-frame... if you know what I'm saying.

Y'know... tadpole coralling... white-water wristing... punishing the bishop... flogging the dolphin... choking the Chinaman... rubbing the rhubarb... groping the gopher... petting the pony... feeling out some issues... coating the Kleenex...

For any kids reading this, I'm just talking about Shaft.

(And we can dig it!)

But alas, she kept her clothes on and tried to ACT. Blech!

bill lopez

Second Unit
In one of last week's tabloids they had pictures of her in a bikini on the beach and she looked bad. Her once hot body is all flab.:thumbsdown:

Butch C

Second Unit
Edited for content...all statements about spotting Ms. Carey at nightclubs retracted.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I hate to admit this, but there was almost one copy of Glitter sold last weekend. My wife and I were at Best Buy to pick up American Pie 2 and as we were browsing she picked up Glitter and looked interested in it, but I eventually talked her out of it, saying "let's rent it first, it's probably a stinker." She likes Mariah, but she didn't realize that all her good stuff was from years ago.

I too thought she was pretty good in the early 90s but then her ego and greed took over.

KJP

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
It's virtually impossible for a DVD, especially one from the major studios, to report absolutely no sales in its first week. I'm sure sales were especially low (although the film's repuataion as a camp classic is growing by the minute, which will probably help), but this seems to be to be another case of a couple of wannabe important DJ's kicking a celebrity when they're down.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I find it incredibly hard to believe that it would sell no copies, but the story makes good copy for morning radio whether it's true or not. This "news" also coincides with her break from the record label this week too, doesn't it?

Can't say that I've ever been a fan, but what seems to have done her in career-wise is buying into her "diva" image. Chances are, though, that she'll have the requisite comeback a few years down the road.

The film itself is pretty bad. I went to see it for review the day it opened--no press screening for this one--and there was a grand total of one person in the audience, myself excluded. Not a good sign, especially considering that I saw Born Romantic, a British romantic comedy that had zero publicity, earlier in the day. (I think this was the same day. The movies run together after awhile.) There may have been ten or so people at the multiplex to see it, an astonishing fact since the film wasn't promoted and didn't have any reviews in the newspaper or alternative weeklies. That should be a good measure of how poorly Glitter did.

KrisM

Second Unit
As much as I hate the Dolphin Women's music I don't think that any DVD would sell zero copies. The cast and directors would at least buy a few copies wouldn't they?

KrisM

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The 'I wanna be a BIG Star--Yesterday!' syndrome....

First Paula Abdul crashed and burned because of it. Now Mariah.

Im wondering about JLo, next....

Only the Material Girl knows how to keep it real-and she aint talkin'...

Hey-it'd make a great double bill with BATTLEFIELD EARTH !

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Well I rented it today, haven't seen it yet, but only because I had a .99cent rental coupon. I can't wait to see what all the bad press is about.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVDFile said there was a TEAR in the print used for the DVD.

Perhaps the director started to shred the film before it could be seen...a la Enron.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
When I see this one being sold for $5.99 online, THEN "maybe" I will buy a copy out of curiosity.
Columbia and Mariah should cut their losses and get rid of this turkey FAST!
Noooo-waaay is anyone going to pay $25. for that stinker!
Maybe this will teach the studios (at least Columbia) that not EVERY movie that hits the theater is worthy of a DVD release :b
If it did a belly flop at the box office, why in the world would they think it would sell any better on disc?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The theatrical release was from Fox, but the video is from Columbia; strange occurrence enough in itself.

For the record, I thought this movie was entertaining; but only in the same way as "Cool as Ice" (I like bad movies!)

Butch C

Second Unit
Think of all the movies not yet on DVD that the crew could have worked on instead of transfering this piece of garbage. At least she beat Brittany and Mandy Moore to the punch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks