What's new

Glitches in Jay & Silent Bob strike back menus & Canadian Version Differences. (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else noticed that the menus on the Jay & Silent Bob strike back disc are really glitchy? The main problem I have is that on disc 2 after viewing a segment, I'll be dumped into what seems like a random menu afterwards. For example, if I play one of the music videos, I end up at the biography page 2 after it's finished. Is this just an authoring problem?

Also, I suspect that the Canadian release is different from the rest of R1, since there's a french 5.1 track, reversible cover art, and bilingual disc art. It doesn't seem like anything else is different, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen anything on this?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I had to return my DVD copy of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back because of severe skips near the end of the movie on disc one. I'm going to have to do another exchange as I am unable to play the "Gag reel" on disc 2. I thought I was the only one having problems with disc 2.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Chris,

What kind of player do you have?

I have the same problem on my Apex 1500, but my Pioneer DV-414 handles the menus just fine.

This isn't the first time I've had such menu problems with the Apex, but I don't remember which other titles gave me trouble.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this is a player problem and not a "bad disc" problem

-Kelly

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm..interesting. I have an Apex Ad-600-might be related. Can't think of any other discs that have done that offhand though.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
No problems playing any segments.

But I did email View Askew about a small glitch - 2 of the TV Spots links are reversed. Cake takes you to the Justice version and Justice takes you to the Cake version.

Pretty mild as far as screw ups go.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I haven't had time to go all the way through disc 2 just yet, but I'd like to comment on this:
Also, I suspect that the Canadian release is different from the rest of R1, since there's a french 5.1 track, reversible cover art, and bilingual disc art. It doesn't seem like anything else is different, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen anything on this?
That's because Alliance Atlantis is distributing this disc in Canada, and therefore have replaced the disc art and inserts with their own versions. Although the reversable french art would have been fine, they decided to put french titles and summary on the english side, and vice versa. ARGHHHHHH.
The playing disc is 100% identical to the Dimension Home Video version from R1, however. (Hence why you see the Dimension Home Video logo as the menus load up)
Jason

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I've had with my J&SB disc is a mildly irritating layer change problem where the image freezes and distorts for a little bit before it starts playing correctly again. I have a Panasonic A120.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem I've had with my J&SB disc is a mildly irritating layer change problem where the image freezes and distorts for a little bit before it starts playing correctly again. I have a Panasonic A120.
I had the same problem. In the scene when they get on to the Good Will Hunting set the picture is skipping ever so slightly then it returns to normal.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have problems on my A100 with the Deleted Scenes.

1) It plays the Willenholly at police HQ part 2 scene part of the way, breaks up and then returns to the menu.

2) The next scene, Jay and the hookers, it'll play the intro and then go back to the menu without showing the scene.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
That's because Alliance Atlantis is distributing this disc in Canada, and therefore have replaced the disc art and inserts with their own versions. Although the reversable french art would have been fine, they decided to put french titles and summary on the english side, and vice versa. ARGHHHHHH.
This seems to be Alliance's new choice for ALL their titles. I noticed several films recently have a french title underneath the main english title, and the back has info in french and english. Well, it's better than their first choice, which was putting the french info card on the back of the case, blocking ALL info on the disc.THAT was stupid. It's still happening with some PS2 games. Given the choice, I can live with the bilingual package, though I would have preferred the reversible packaging.
Damn french people, ruining our DVDs.;)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
This seems to be Alliance's new choice for ALL their titles. I noticed several films recently have a french title underneath the main english title, and the back has info in french and english.
Get used to it. :frowning:
According to the forums at dv-depot.com other companies are starting to do this as well (namely Paramount and Universal). Very annoying.
Chris

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
According to the forums at dv-depot.com other companies are starting to do this as well (namely Paramount and Universal). Very annoying.
I can live with this, but the MILLISECOND they compromise on the quality of the title to cram in a French 5.1 track, I'll be importing American versions. Mess with the packaging (slightly), fine, just DON'T SCREW WITH THE CONTENT.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Would it be so diffucult to stick with the reversible version? Even if you ship em to quebec reversed-I'm sure that any of the anglos there could deal with it. My relatives out in quebec are loving DVD right now, since it means that you can actually get all of the movies that are out quite easily (before it was a pain in the ass to get english version VHS-usually too much french around).

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I agree with Chris. I understand, and approve of, reversable packaging, but I clearly don't understand the point of having both english and french on BOTH SIDES. Make one english, make one french, leave it at that. It's really sad because a small percentage of French-Canadians think it's their bloody right to have all their films dubbed, and we all have to suffer because of it.
Our DVD's have turned into cereal boxes......
Andrew, the discs won't be screwed with because they are exactly the American discs sent to the Canadian distributor. It's the seperate Canadian releases (TVA's "Mulholland Drive," for one) that we have to worry about.
Oh well, could be worse. We could go back to the french/english dual covers, full frame and 2.0 surround that populated Alliance's earlier titles.
Jason

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any problems with the french on the back but I think it's awful that they put both languages on the spine. Now both are so small you can't read either of them when they're sitting on your shelf. This is really annoying and I hope they will at least put only one language on the spine and make the cover reversable.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My 2nd generation Pioneer player (DVL909 combi-player) froze during the closing credits on more than one occasion. I had no problems with disc 2.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks