What's new

Gilmore Girls 4/30 (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Kirk's short film totally rocked! I haven't laughed that hard watching television in a long time. :laugh:
~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode pissed me off. I hated Lorelai's over-reaction to the whole thing with Jess getting into a wreck with Rory's car due to some animal running in front of them.

Lorelai went into her bunker mode of "if you're not with me, you're against me" which is very much like her mother. I felt bad for Luke, and I feel this was just the writers writing to keep Lorelai and Luke apart for more "Moonlighting" tension until they inevitably get together, which may not happen for another 2 years until Rory goes to college if Lorelai keeps a grudge. Luke's reaction was of real concern for Jess while he had to put up with Lorelai's crapfest on Jess. Good for Luke for standing up to Lorelai's self-righteous BS.

I do think that Rory's dad has broken up with Shelley (he never ever got to answer any questions when Shelley's name was brought up).

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
What bothered me about this episode were the commercials that made the car accident look overly dramatic.

Is the actor who plays Jess gone from the show? I like Jess and want to see him and Rory in a relationship.

~T

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, I couldn't agree more about Lorelai over-reacting. It kinda ticked me off. It seems like its becoming a major part of the show, to create conflict where there shouldn't be, just to keep it dramatic. Too bad, because there are so many interesting characters and I'm sure many more interesting stories to be told.

And jeesh, shouldn't Luke at least have offered Rory some money or something?

Oh, and don't tell my friends I watch this show.:b

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Loralai did overreact, and that's one of her faults. She can't be perfect, that would be boring. Her and Rory have to start butting heads soon, even in a minor way to keep the show fresh. I still think this whole Jess thing is going to come to a head for the season finale with Rory doing something like going to live with her Dad breaking Loralai's heart.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The show wouldn't be called Gilmore Girls if Rory went to go live with Christopher. :)
There's over-reacting, and then there's over-over-reacting because it would serve a larger plot point while betraying the consistency of the characters. Lorelai's reaction was of the latter.
What would break Lorelai's heart is for Rory to run away with Jess for the summer.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
then there's over-over-reacting because it would serve a larger plot point while betraying the consistency of the characters. Lorelai's reaction was of the latter.
Really? I really saw it as pretty consistent with Lorelei's prior behavior - any time she's had even the smallest reason to worry about Rory, she has gone into a blind panic. The difference here is that she had reason to be angry as well as afraid, which means she lashed outward as well as inward.

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm with Jason, here. There was nothing inconsistent about Lorelai's reaction. She's a drama queen -- it's the quality that drives her parents crazy, that ruins all of her relationships, that puts her at the blunt end of some brutal wake up calls (the one from Chris a few weeks ago was the best and most surprising), and that makes her character and the show so damn compelling. In a show that succeeds on the strength of a mother and daughter who are "just like best friends," the writers never forget that Lorelai is first and foremost a selflessly devoted mother, though one who could stand to do some growing up of her own.
And I agree, Thi, Kirk's film was damn funny, especially the bad editing in the first conversation. Actually, I think I laugh harder, though, when he approached Lorelai about showing it.
"No, not Akira Kurosawa. I'm thinking of someone else. Who was the guy who directed all of those episodes of The Facts of Life? . . . Asaad Kelada! That's it. That's who I meant."
How sad is it that I remember Kelada's name, and from 80s sit-coms, not last night's episode.
Link Removed

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would have had more sympathy for Lorelai's over-reaction if Rory was laying in bed with a coma. But Rory wasn't hurt all that badly, but she still used the accident to find an excuse to fly off the handle.

People do not figuratively berate the living hell out of a good friend's relative for something so minor. If Lorelai gave a damn about Luke, she would not have gone off like that on Luke. These 2 share a good history, and Lorelai was willing to let it all go for something that wasn't all that big a deal (a fractured hand is not a big deal to get all worked up). Usually when Lorelai's lays one of her tirades into someone, it's either playful or well-deserved. Her tirade irked me because it was undeserved.

I wasn't receptive to her antics in this episode. Perhaps I am more sympathetic to Luke's plight.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
How sad is it that I remember Kelada's name, and from 80s sit-coms, not last night's episode.
Me too! (For a show filled with throw-away references every week, that one is pretty darn obscure.) That and Kirk's film were the funniest things for me.

//Ken

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The show wouldn't be called Gilmore Girls if Rory went to go live with Christopher.
Obviously she would come back when she made up with her mother. It would just be something to create some tension and possibly a cliffhanger.

And it wasn't the brken hand that upset her, it's the fear that Rory will make the same 'mistake' she made. Sure, she acts cool most of the time but as evidenced in the past (the episode where Rory spends the night with Dean at the dance studio) the idea of Rory being less than the good girl she's been terrifies her.

Also, I got the impression she felt betrayed by Luke as well. Almost as if asking Rory to tutor Jess against her better judgment was a slam against her. I don't have a lot of evidence to back that up, but I got that impression.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
And by the way, was that Jon Polito in Kirk's film? The guy from Millers Crossing/Big Lebowski, and many other films and TV shows?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chad, so you're saying Lorelai is becoming her mother, Emily? :)
Lorelai wants it both ways: trying to be best friends with Rory and still be the mother. Seldom does that work entirely. Something will have to give. Sure, I understand Lorelai's concerns with Rory living Lorelai's life (getting knocked up early and yada yada yada), but unless she's prepared to turn Rory into "Bubble Girl" she needs to let her upbringing of Rory kick in and learn to trust Rory. It's apparent that she doesn't trust Rory, else she would not have flown off the handle.
It's not about not trusting Jess (or any other suitor of Rory), it's all about her relationship with Rory, and she's sabotaging it (once Rory realizes what happened, it'll drive a small wedge between her and Lorelai). I watched the last 20 minutes of the episode again before I taped over it, and her tirade still pissed me off.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's apparent that she doesn't trust Rory, else she would not have flown off the handle.
I think it's apparent to everyone but Lorelai. She doesn't want to admit to herself that she has just a slight mistrust of Rory.

And yes, Lorelai is going to start to act more like Emily. One of the Universal truths is that we become our parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks