What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gidget - Full Screen Only?? (1 Viewer)

Calm down everyone….read the notice from the Sony website:

Gidget - The Complete Collection (2 discs) - DVD

Format: DVD
Running Time: 95 Min.
Rated NR

SYNOPSIS

Before Blue Crush, Big Wednesday and Beach Party there was GIDGET, Hollywood's original ode to the Southern California beach scene. And here in this long-awaited DVD collection is the hit film that started an entire genre- presented in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio for the first time in 45 years - plus its two engaging sequels; GIDGET GOES TO ROME and GIDGET GOES HAWAIIN. A winning combination of humor, romance and music, the comic misadventures of Gidget and Moondoggie also inspired two popular television series as well as setting the screen standard for every teenage surf-sand-and-song saga that followed.

DVD FEATURES
• Full Screen Presentation• Languages: English• Remastered in High Definition• 2-Disc Set!

About the Film
• Stars: Sandra Dee, Cindy Carol, Deborah Walley, James Darren• Director: Paul Wendkos• Producer: Lewis J. Rachmil, Jerry Bresler• Writer: Gabrielle Upton, Ruth Brooks• Genre: Comedy• CC: Yes• Color/B&W: Color

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jayson, it would have helped to point out the "presented in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio for the first time in 45 years" part of that blurb. Hopefully it is correct.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jayson, it would have helped to point out the "presented in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio for the first time in 45 years" part of that blurb. Hopefully it is correct.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
is 8/3 Sandra Dees birthday or something?
i see that Universal also has a couple SD movies getting released on that day as well.

i'm kind surprised we aren't seeing a Tammy franchise collection though...wasn't SD in one of those?
that seems to me a better Gidget coat-tail rider than the other two (i realize different studios, but it seems awfully coincidental in any case).

i don't know what to make of the AR for Gidget.
if its scope i'll pick it up happily (even if the sequels are MAR sice i just don't care about them)...but i'll need some more definite info first.
so far all the retailer info and the back jacket make the case that all the features are MAR and the only word to the contrary is one line buried in the text of a press release that itself is contradicted a few lines down.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
is 8/3 Sandra Dees birthday or something?
i see that Universal also has a couple SD movies getting released on that day as well.

i'm kind surprised we aren't seeing a Tammy franchise collection though...wasn't SD in one of those?
that seems to me a better Gidget coat-tail rider than the other two (i realize different studios, but it seems awfully coincidental in any case).

i don't know what to make of the AR for Gidget.
if its scope i'll pick it up happily (even if the sequels are MAR sice i just don't care about them)...but i'll need some more definite info first.
so far all the retailer info and the back jacket make the case that all the features are MAR and the only word to the contrary is one line buried in the text of a press release that itself is contradicted a few lines down.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
OK, so it's in full-screen 16x9 anamorphic 1.33:1 pan-and-scan widescreen Cinemascope, formatted to fit your TV and presented in its original aspect ratio. :alien:

Sounds like Sony hired a copywriter who doesn't know the first thing about film or video. It's one or the other.

No doubt we'll all find out come release time. Maybe a few of us can rent it and let everyone else know.

NOBODY BUY THIS UNTIL WE'RE ALL 100% SURE EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF TRANSFER WAS MADE!

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
OK, so it's in full-screen 16x9 anamorphic 1.33:1 pan-and-scan widescreen Cinemascope, formatted to fit your TV and presented in its original aspect ratio. :alien:

Sounds like Sony hired a copywriter who doesn't know the first thing about film or video. It's one or the other.

No doubt we'll all find out come release time. Maybe a few of us can rent it and let everyone else know.

NOBODY BUY THIS UNTIL WE'RE ALL 100% SURE EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF TRANSFER WAS MADE!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
All the press and promotional material aside, that back cover looks the most convincing. The actual packaging tends to provide the most reliable information, although it is wrong occasionally. Annie and Just One of the Guys were confirmed as "full screen" weeks before release through the back cover at the CTHE press site, too.

CTHE titles often are available about a month before release, so we'll find out soon.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
All the press and promotional material aside, that back cover looks the most convincing. The actual packaging tends to provide the most reliable information, although it is wrong occasionally. Annie and Just One of the Guys were confirmed as "full screen" weeks before release through the back cover at the CTHE press site, too.

CTHE titles often are available about a month before release, so we'll find out soon.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You would think that touting the Cinemascope ratio in the blurb would indicate the proper ratio, and the packaging is wrong.

Of course, if the blurb said that the original emasc ratio was being presented, it would confirm MAR.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
CTHE made review copies available starting yesterday (June 29), so we should know in a few days what's full-screen and what's not on The Gidget Collection. These DVDs will be final copies, the same as in stores.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I got my copy today.

The back cover is the same as what I posted earlier--and, unfortunately, it is indeed correct.

All three movies are full-screen, with some really bad pan-and-scanning in the few scenes I sampled on Gidget. If it even matters after that, the image on the first movie in particular is really horrible, quite grainy.

What an embarrassing disaster from Columbia TriStar.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
What very disappointing news! Having seen a great widescreen presentation of "Gidget" on TCM , I just don't understand why it would not be utilized for the DVD!
Its hard to believe that there are still major studios that ignore what the public wants as well as the filmakers orignial intentions in regards to aspect ratio.
Disney is also very guilty of this with the utilization of shoddy pan and scan VHS transfers for some of their classics.....":Follow Me Boys" and "Greyfriars Bobby" just name two. ( I fear for "Darby O'Gill and the Little People")
Very very frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks