What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
(Stan from "South Park voice on) Well, who didn't see that coming? (Stan from "South Park" voice off)

Remind me to hold on to my current DVD of this movie. I wouldn't touch the widescreen version of this with a 10-foot pole or a 5-foot Swede.

Why does Sony enjoy pulling this shit on us?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Oh, and please keep in mind that these people now own the MGM library.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
DavisDVD has called Sony and they have confirmed that the first Ghostbusters movie will be in Fullscreen only in this gift set.

On a related matter, the English word 'gift' means 'poison' in German.

Just thought that was a funny coincidence.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

Expect more of this. Perhaps they figure the OAR officianados will be more likely to get a Blu-ray version of the movie. I think it's a planned downgrade of the DVD format.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The MGM titles are now integrated into the SONY website. MGM was pretty good on their own with FULL FRAME only transfers.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just when you think these people can't get any stupider....

Maybe we should see about RCA getting back Columbia Pictures' video division- I think THEY were doing a better job than Sony is now!

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
This is just terrible, why would they put Ghostbusters in pan and scan? Maybe they lost the tapes/transfers/master, whatever you call it? I'm passing on this set, I'm glad I didn't sell the originals but I'm sure people who sold the orignals to get this set will regret it when they find out that Ghostbusters is in pan and scan. It is really a shame, SHAME ON YOU, SONY!!!!! I WANT A EXPAINATION, SONY!

I called the first number and please keep in mind that I am deaf and I use the relay:

DadBoss7: 310-244-4000 ga
My IP Relay:
IP RELAY RO 1906M DIALING 310 244 4000 PLS HD
My IP Relay: RING 1 2 (F) sony opr
My IP Relay: ga (F)
My IP Relay: thk u for calling sony pictures
My IP Relay: entertainment how may i direct
My IP Relay: ur call qq ga
DadBoss7: I have a question about the Ghostbusters set, why is the first Ghostbusters in full screen?
DadBoss7: ga
My IP Relay: ga uh i have a question is that
My IP Relay: concerning the ghost busters dvd
DadBoss7: Yes ga
My IP Relay: qq
My IP Relay: i would need to transfer him to
My IP Relay: someone for in publicity for
My IP Relay: dvd can i transfer (F) mr freemans
My IP Relay: office (EXPLAINING RELAY) (HUNG UP ANOTHER CALL
My IP Relay: QQ) GA xxx (EXPLAINING RELAY)
DadBoss7: 310-244-4000 GA
My IP Relay: (PLS HD ga
My IP Relay: (EXPLAINING RELAY) (PLS HD (PLS HD (PLS HD
My IP Relay: (PLS HD (PLS HD (PLS HD (PLS HD
My IP Relay: ga ga
My IP Relay: ga (ro here the person is waiting
My IP Relay: on you ) ga
My IP Relay: faga ga
DadBoss7: How come the first Ghostbusters is full screen on the new Ghostbusters DVD set? ga
My IP Relay: (WHILE U TYPED sounds like
My IP Relay: typing IN BKGD) um i m not sure
My IP Relay: (sounds calm) ga
DadBoss7: You are not sure? How come? ga
My IP Relay: (WHILE U TYPED imma have to place u on hold
My IP Relay: i ll be right back (sounds very
My IP Relay: annoyed)(holding)
My IP Relay: (F) hello ga
My IP Relay: um u know what this is really not
My IP Relay: gonna work topls call cust svc and i
My IP Relay: have the phone u guys have called
My IP Relay: the wrong nbr for that hes gonna
My IP Relay: have to and i have the phone nbr
My IP Relay: 18008602878 ((sounds frustrated)
My IP Relay: ga
DadBoss7: Okay but why did the company put it in fullscreen for the first Ghostbusters movie? Is there a reason for it? ga
My IP Relay: i am not sure (sounds frustrated)
My IP Relay: ga
DadBoss7: Alright, thank you for your help, bye sk
My IP Relay: thk u bye

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
why does it list widescreen in the red special features box for ghostbusters?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
It really boggles the mind that they do things like this.

Perhaps Jeff is right about the cashing-in on enthusiasts bit.

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
Are you rebuying just to switch Ghostbusters 2 discs if the transfer is better? :D I would do that if the transfer is much better than the original but I will keep the original Ghostbusters since it's in widescreen

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK folks, a friend of mine with some Sony Contacts is doing some digging to gets us some non customer care numbers. But if we post these, you have to PROMISE to be polite and encouraging to Sony. And when you do mention the Full Frame issue first, please also be sure to mention that GB 2 also deserves an SE. Or at least a commentary with all four Ghoustbusters..

We're also in the process of Contacting ivan Reitmans Assistant. If we can get his support on this, maby he can help us at least get the Full Frame issue fixed..

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
one GB FULL screen and the other 16:9 wide?!

It makes sense only if you realize that
CRACK must be plentiful and easy to acquire
around the SONY offices, eh?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess Sony is just trying to make everyone mad at them. Why else would they release a set with one movie in full screen and another in widescreen? People are either going to want both movies in OAR or both movies to fill their screens. (To most people this would be stating the obvious, but not to Sony employees, I guess.)

GregK

Screenwriter
Back in the day this was one of the early letterboxed laserdiscs from Criterion. Along with FORBIDDEN PLANET and a few other titles, the very expensive Criterion LDs were (for a time) the only way to see these features in their original aspect ratio. And the first GHOSTBUSTERS feature really took advantage of the Scope format, which of course made it all the more of a mess when shown in pan-n-scan. I kept my older pan-n-scan laserdisc of this one for many years, just to show people how much good picture information was actually lost and how letterboxing preserved the original theatrical framing. For the LD community the Criterion GHOSTBUSTERS was one of the early discs that beckoned the beginning of laserdiscs as a true high end home theater format.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane.. Old lessons learned, right?? Back to the future!! :D

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Oh my god! This is unbelievable. I had every intention of getting this set, since I don't have the current release. I am utterly disappointed by this. This was one purchase I was looking forward to this summer. $ony is getting more and more pathetic by the day. I also agree that they're downgrading DVDs to make Blu-Ray look that much more superior. Very, VERY stupid move on their part. I wish more people knew about the crap they've been pulling recently. I'd love to see a huge boycott on ALL of their products. Needless to say, that is one company that should NOT be selling widescreen television sets. Talk about the ultimate double standard.

I'm pissed now. This news was the straw that broke the camel's back. Screw you $ony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks