What's new

Ghostbusters, 20th anniversary edition? (1 Viewer)

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
as far as the ghostbusters figures here's a quote from toyfare confirmed by their president.
The first line of 7-inch scale action figures will focus on the creatures of 'Ghostbusters', including Slimer, with an ectoplasm display base and munching action; Gozer, with interchangable head and hands and translucent energy beams; terror dogs Zuul and Vinz Clortho, each with light-up eyes and a temple base; and an 18-inch rotocast Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, with a city street base, an altenate head and movable eyes.
In addition to the ghost figures, there will also be a line of Ghostbusters Genomes, featuring block figures of the original foursome--Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddmore--with a Slimer figure twrown in for good measure.
they also expect to do the ghostbusters themselves in the next line of figs and are working out licensing now.

as far as dvds go i'd buy it if it were superbit deluxe (which is underutilised in my opinion). well actually i would like a commentary track with murray and akroyd too just want good picture(been spoiled by seeing a brand new spankin print of it for a midnight showing on halloween).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, lucky Californians got a preview showing on Halloween this year, but I didn't know it was a new 'restored' print.

Just got through watching GB2. I always bring it out around New Yearrs. I also wonder how many outtakes there are for this movie, considering the headshots of each crewmember during the end credits(i.e. Murray at the end making a stink motion at the fridge).

James L White

Supporting Actor
Personaly I think Columbia could spend their time on a better SE project ie. an SE of Stripes, Ghostbuster 2 or The Karate Kid, IMO the current Ghostbusters DVD is perfect. :emoji_thumbsup:

I doubt we'll see another SE of this, a superbit maybe :b

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Spaeaking of "Stripes", I thought that they were working on an SE of that movie. Ivan Reitman mentioned it over a couple of years ago and still nothing.

I wouldn't mind an SE of "Ghostbusters II" simply because even though I own the curren edition, I would love to see some of the deleted scenes from the film, as well as hear a commentary track for it as well. We can all dream, can't we?

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I haven't seen Ghostbusters 2 since 1989 and don't plan on seeing it ever again, SE edition be damned!! :)

-Dennis

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think the film deserves a complete digital re-compositing/overhaul of the optical effects (not added CGI), full restoration, and a completely new sound mix (with the old 2.0 Dolby Stereo along to keep the fan boys happy).

While this DVD claims to be 5.1 encoded, it is anything but real 5.1. Listen to the rear surrounds... they're mono.

I'd buy it!

Dan

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The first Ghostbusters DVD was one of the very first DVDs I got and was one of the big selling points for me in getting a DVD player to begin with. Even then, it was still really packed out with all the extras.

I wouldn't mind a new 2-disc SE, if they ported everything over from the previous set and added the following extra material to it:

- all of the outtakes on the Criterion LD that weren't on the DVD
- any and all alternate scenes from the ABC-TV version (There was a clean alternate scene from the ABC-TV broadcast in which Bill Murray tears down William Atherton's character by saying, "Yes, it's true. He's some sort of rabid dog, I don't know what kind." In addition, during the same scene, Dan Aykroyd refers to Atherton's character as "Wally Wick", and that one was a clean alternate version for the TV broadcast as well.)
- the Ray Parker Jr. music video (that one was goofy fun in part for all of the star cameos that were in it)

Give me that, along with the rest of the material from the first disc, and I'll be happy. :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
a completely new sound mix (with the old 2.0 Dolby Stereo along to keep the fan boys happy).

While this DVD claims to be 5.1 encoded, it is anything but real 5.1. Listen to the rear surrounds... they're mono.
That's because Ghostbusters was released theatrically in 70mm-6 Track, so a 2.0 soundtrack would be unnecessary, since the 5.1 DVD mix replecates the original 70mm 6 Track mix.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Not sure how they could improve on the current release. Don't really care about the "clean" TV-versions of certain shots.

Now, if someone released a full sized 20th anniversary proton pack, I'd be there in a second! ;)

Haden

Supporting Actor
There's a few more well-known deleted scenes from the laserdisc that were not on the first DVD release. That's the main thing I'd like to see on a new special edition. A new commentary with Akroyd and Murray would be entertaining, or at least a new retrospective documentary.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
- any and all alternate scenes from the ABC-TV version (There was a clean alternate scene from the ABC-TV broadcast in which Bill Murray tears down William Atherton's character by saying, "Yes, it's true. He's some sort of rabid dog, I don't know what kind."
He actually says, "This man is some kind of rodent, I don't know which."

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator

funny you mention it but it wasn't just californion. I went to a screening in roanoke,va which was evidently one of five screenings on halloween night. The local newspaper also mentioned that in order to get the screening the theatre had to promise a huge audience of rabid fans and encouraged costumes so maybe the screening was a 'test audience' of some kind.All i know is that night was aload of fun they even played a bug bunny cartoon before the movie.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Ghostbusters" was my very first DVD when I got into this wonderful format several years ago. It still puts a lot of today's current SE's to shame IMO.

For me to buy a new version, Columbia would REALLY have to add something major. What I dunno.

As for a SE of part II, I'd go for that. I have the current bare bones disc and it at least deserves a commentary. (and boy, what poor timing that movie had, opening in the summer against "Batman", it had no chance.)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Hmmmmm... I could have sworn he said "rabid dog". Oh well, it's been years since I saw it on TV. But having the alternate takes used for the TV version would be a nice little added bonus.

Haden

Supporting Actor
What's the alternate line he says in the TV version for the "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" line? I recall it being something really weird. Everytime I hear it I'm like "What the hell does that mean??"

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Forsome reason, "We Came, we saw, we kicked it's butt" came to mind. Now, are these just dubbed line versions, or actuall filmed scenes w ith line changes?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
The alternate line you're thinking of is "What a knock about of pure fun that was!" Unfortunately, that version doesn't air too often.

I believe that the alternate lines were filmed seperately, so no, they're not dubs.

Another alternate line was during the scene in the mayor's office. An alternate version was filmed where Ray says "Wally Wick" instead of "dickless".

You can hear some of the alternate lines here (The shooting script that contains may of the deleted scenes that aren't on the current release can also be found at this site). In regards to Neil's question about Ghostbusters II: I know that some of them were filmed. The one for slimer is from a deleated scene, which was in the script. I'm not sure about the others, as it's been a while since I've read the script.

Haden

Supporting Actor
The alternate line you're thinking of is "What a knock about of pure fun that was!" Unfortunately, that version doesn't air too often.
Yeah that's it. The way he says it, it sounds like gibberish to me and I always stop and wonder what the hell he just said because I'm usually expecting the "We came, we saw..." line instead. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
There's a few more well-known deleted scenes from the laserdisc that were not on the first DVD release.
I'd like someone to tell me what laserdisc this is. I have the Criterion CAV edition laserdisc and there are only two deleted scenes on it. In addition, they only included excerpts of the original featurette that is presented in full on the DVD.

I once emailed Jon Mulvaney of Criterion about why they included so little when there were lots of deleted scenes and a full-length featurette. The response was a canned "We used all that we had access to," or something to that effect.

The LD does include a teaser trailer that is not on the DVD, however.

Oh, and I am also a fan of the alternate TV lines. I have a VHS of that version somewhere. It was the first time I saw a movie on TV where they actually used alternate takes instead of just dubbing a new line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks