What's new

Ghostbusters, 20th anniversary edition? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone think there's enough new bonus material around for a new 20th anniversary edition of the disc for next year, especially considering all the new GB merchandise coming out in 2004?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, given Columbia's recent about-face, I'm sure we can expect a pan-and-scan version to come out soon, and they'll probably take the current edition off the market ;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Neil, do you own the current disc? That thing is still packed to the teeth by today's standards! :eek:

greg_t

Screenwriter
It's got great extras, but it could use a better transfer. This would make a great superbit.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've got no gripe with the content of the current disc. Of course, if they redid it I'd buy it unless it was pan and scan or something.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was just watching this disc last night as a matter of fact. Very good DVD all around. You can pick it up at Wal*Mart for like 10 bucks

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
NECA first got a sense of how much fan-demand there was for Ghostbusters action figures when they releasedtheir Ghostbusters "Body-Knockers"--bobbling figurines of Slimer and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man--earlier this year. "The reaction was huge," Chris Farinas said. "Action figures seemed to be the next logical step. The fan base has always wanted the line."

The first line of 7-inch scale action figures will focus on the creatures of 'Ghostbusters', including Slimer, with an ectoplasm display base and munching action; Gozer, with interchangable head and hands and translucent energy beams; terror dogs Zuul and Vinz Clortho, each with light-up eyes and a temple base; and an 18-inch rotocast Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, with a city street base, an altenate head and movable eyes.

In addition to the ghost figures, there will also be a line of Ghostbusters Genomes, featuring block figures of the original foursome--Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddmore--with a Slimer figure twrown in for good measure.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
I would definately buy a 20th aniversary edition DVD. I can't imagine what would be put on it in terms of extras, save for some of the deleated scenes that were either shot or storyboarded that didn't make it onto the DVD. I know there are some from the Criterion laserdisk that didn't make it on, and there are also a bunch in the shooting script that I'm sure were either shot or storyboarded (some of 'em I KNOW where shot....). Also, I would love for there to be a commentary track with either Dan Aykroyd or Bill Murray (I don't know if either of those guys participate in commentaries, though). I'd really like Dan to do one since he pretty much came up with the whole concept and co-wrote the script.

Oh, and about the action figures: I've never heard of NECA before, but how are their figures in terms of quality/ detail? Can we expect them to look as nice as the figures that Todd McFarlane puts out? Also, will the figures be available in stores, or will this be an online only thing? The reason I ask that last question is because I haven't seen any of the figures you mentioned in stores.

EDIT: I just took a look around NECA's website, and I gotta say... I'm really pleased with the stuff they've done. If the ghostbusters figures look as good as the bobbleheads, then I'll be very happy. Also, I recall seeing some of these figures in stores, so I pretty much answered my own question.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I have the current disk, and even though I don't own a widescreen television yet, it'd be nice to have an anamorphic transfer.

The current one is non-anamorphic, right?

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
NECA's stuff is better then McFarlane, actually. Because they actually care about the properties. As for the quality and detail, most of the sculptors are former McFarlane sculptors that got tired of Toddy's attitude to his employees and fans. So they left, and have managed to pretty much kick Toddy's behind in the area of Movie figures.

In the year they've been around, they've managing to snatch up properties that Toddy's been unable to grab for years. Like Hellraiser, Gremlins, and most recently the got the license to Freddy vs. Jason. NECA's stuff is available from stores like Media Play, Suncoast, Spencer's, etc. Here's a couple links to some of their stuff. Careful on the last one, spoiler for Freddy vs. Jason. :)

http://www.hellraiserthemovie.com/indexb.html
http://www.necaonline.com/news.html
http://www.necaonline.com/fvsj.html
http://www.necaonline.com/fvsj/fvsj2.html

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Being a Ghostbusters fan since the age of 5 (I'm almost 21 now), I'd be very interested in a 20th Anniversary Edition. The only things they could possibly add are new interviews with Murray, Weaver and the rest of the cast and crew, an isolated score, the music video (I think rights issues prevented its inclusion on the original DVD), and some additional deleted scenes. I know there's one on the Criterion laserdisc (Spengler, Stanz, and Venkman get back to the university only to see their names removed from the door) but what I'd really like to see is the complete Fort scene. A short clip of this is used in the montage as a dream (the ghost hovering above Aykroyd in bed and, well, you know).

But what I really, really want to see is a SE of Ghostbusters II. (Not "2" as the packaging states but "II".)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
MUSIC VIDEO+new transfer=happy customer

i don't really even need the music video

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say, I wouldn't mind an SE of Ghostbusters 2, as someone else mentioned in this thread. An SE with a good commentary track and some extras might make me want to watch that movie more than once every 2 years.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I think the music video would be a nice touch. Really reflects on some of the talent of the 80s with cameos by Chevy Chase, John Candy, etc. Not to mention I haven't seen it in at least 15 years. :)

I don't own the current releases of either film, but will gladly wait to see if SE's will indeed be made available. If not, no harm no foul. I'll just pick up the versions already out.

But yeah, it is a bit disconcerning, considering CTHE's attitude towards family fare being released in P&S. I only hope that if this does come out as a special edition, they wake up and smell the toast.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for turning this into a discussion about action figures, but I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, and this is the first time anyone has mentioned these figures. Does anyone know which figures will be part of the first wave? I noticed that in the pic Neil V posted, Vince, Zuul, and Gozer all connect to form one large base. Will there be more than those three figures in the first wave? I noticed on NECA's website that there are Gremlins 2 characters mixed in with the Gremlins figures. Will they be mixing in Ghostbusters II characters with characters from the first film?

Mike Cameron, thanks for the info on NECA. Those figures DO look better than McFarlane's stuff (although Freddy's face looks slightly off in the Freddy VS Jason figure, but maybe that's just me).

As already mentioned in the thread, I'd love for there to be a second release of Ghostbusters II. 2004 will be GBII's 15th anniversary, so it'd be the perfect time to release an SE. It's a shame that the first release has next to nothing in terms of extras.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yep, I do have the first Ghostbusters disc, and it's one of the few discs I actually rewatch the commentary on again and again.

Speaking of Ghostbusters 2, anyone know if the scenes found in the book, where Tully goes after Slimer with a Proton Pack where ever filmed? There's also a deleted scene where Ray is controlled by Vigo and goes on a driving rampage in the Ecto 1A. I beleive there's something of this scene found in the musical montage where Venkman is overlooking his shoulder at Ray with a surprised look on his face in the backseat of the car...

I'd love it if some agent could get the four guys themselves to do a commentary for either of the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks