What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Holy Christ, this movie is really turning into a slow motion train wreck. So a couple of days ago, James Rolfe (AKA the Angry Video Game Nerd) put up a video on cinemasacre saying "Naw, I don't want to see it, and I wont be reviewing it"

It was a reasonable, well thought out explanation why the movie clearly isn't for him. But then the internet lost their goddamned minds.

The movie might suck, but the shitstorm enveloping it is entertaining as hell. It's turning into the FantFourStic of 2016!

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't have any interest in this film but it does seem to be a "big thing" right now as driving around yesterday there was a lot of talk about it on the radio. The reports claim that the studio is pretty much convinced that they have a major flop on their hands and that they now realize this film was a giant mistake. The switch to a female cast was supposedly precipitated by a certain female executive that felt that there are not enough "girls night out films" that are made to appeal to women and that a new Ghostbusters film should be a film for women...this info was I guess part of a studio email leak made public by angry North Koreans as payback over a Seth Rogen film.

So, in a way I guess the North Koreans are still getting their revenge, ha!

The new/latest trailer was supposedly cut to try to appease/appeal to angry male fans (I guess it is just the guys that are mad) by downplaying the female cast and instead focusing on the special effects...which they seem to think is what the "male" fans liked about the original film. I think the appeal was mainly Bill Murray but what do I know.

I also do not really understand the uproar over this remake. I mean the first Ghostbusters film was obviously popular and well received but the second film seemed mainly to be thought of as a pretty lousy sequel...which was in part why a third film was put on hold. Of course, then Murray decided he did not want to make another Ghostbusters film and that seemed to put the whole thing on a shelf.

I don't know why anybody is surprised or upset by any of this. Hollywood has been all about rebooting/remaking/cashing in on anything that made any kind of profit for them in the past so why not Ghostbusters? I don't think fans of older films ever really like remakes or reboots and most of the time the truth is they do stink. Anytime you go back to the well there is going to be a very loud chorus of boos from loyal fans of the older films. It does not matter if you are talking about James Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, or any comic book franchise...there are going to be a lot of complaints with each new attempt to milk that cow.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The second international trailer dropped today. You know what? That . . . almost sorta kinda looked good-ish. Mind you, the overwhelming majority of evidence is still stacked against it, and there's still no fucking way in the world I'm giving it a single penny of my money - but as far as the trailers thus far, it wasn't too bad.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That international trailer does look good.
Seeing it in the theater for sure.
At worst, it will be mediocre tribute to the original with a few good laughs. Best case scenario-I'm entertained from start to finish, like when I saw the original in 1984.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Funnily I think this third trailer looks worst of them all. This 3rd one looks like an SNL sketch. The other 2 looked better.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd watch it out of curiosity once it hits Netflix or Amazon. There's no way I'm paying theater prices to see this film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Holy Christ, this movie is really turning into a slow motion train wreck. So a couple of days ago, James Rolfe (AKA the Angry Video Game Nerd) put up a video on cinemasacre saying "Naw, I don't want to see it, and I wont be reviewing it"

It was a reasonable, well thought out explanation why the movie clearly isn't for him. But then the internet lost their goddamned minds.

The movie might suck, but the shitstorm enveloping it is entertaining as hell. It's turning into the FantFourStic of 2016!

I like AVGN, but I think he is being a little short sighted with his attitude toward the movie. That Amazing Athiest Guy Sucks horribly. Good grief his video was worse than nails on a blackboard. I didn't watch that Skulltilda/ Count Chocula guys video.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I like AVGN, but I think he is being a little short sighted with his attitude toward the movie. That Amazing Athiest Guy Sucks horribly. Good grief his video was worse than nails on a blackboard. I didn't watch that Skulltilda/ Count Chocula guys video.

Well, the point is that James had a pretty calm, reasonable viewpoint - "Hey, this movie is not for me. I'm staying out of this" - and he gets pigpiled by people calling him sexist and a woman hater, despite not really mentioning gender at all. It's just fascinating how insane the pre-release . .. well, hype is the wrong word - discussion? vitriol? how polarizing the movie is, with people looking to get offended where there is no offense to be had.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What have I missed? Why is this movie being considered a disaster before it opens? Has the director disavowed himself? The cast? Has there been a screening that went badly?
The only chatter I hear on the Internet is from some people who'd rather not see a movie lead by women, which is hardly enough to call this a disaster.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What have I missed? Why is this movie being considered a disaster before it opens? Has the director disavowed himself? The cast? Has there been a screening that went badly?
The only chatter I hear on the Internet is from some people who'd rather not see a movie lead by women, which is hardly enough to call this a disaster.
It's been pretty well covered earlier in the thread but I think it'll be a financial disaster (whether the movie is good or bad) because it's not just angry losers, the negativity has crossed over to the mainstream press. Literally the only things I've seen about this movie are about how it's horrible and the hysterical (over) reaction to a trailer that was, at worst, just so-so. I was promptly told I was wrong when I suggested earlier that sexism played a part for some of the hate for the movie. Even though gender is an issue for some people, there's also the issue of kneejerk hatred of remakes and the biggest problem is that the first trailer for the movie didn't make it look good. Those three things have created a very bad situation for the movie's financial prospects. Normally, I would say that internet opinion has nearly zero bearing on the real world but this is the rare time when it's created really terrible and nearly insurmountable negative publicity.

All that being said, I don't own Sony so I don't really care how much the movie makes, I just hope it's good.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It's been pretty well covered earlier in the thread but I think it'll be a financial disaster (whether the movie is good or bad) because it's not just angry losers, the negativity has crossed over to the mainstream press. Literally the only things I've seen about this movie are about how it's horrible and the hysterical (over) reaction to a trailer that was, at worst, just so-so. I was promptly told I was wrong when I suggested earlier that sexism played a part for some of the hate for the movie. Even though gender is an issue for some people, there's also the issue of kneejerk hatred of remakes and the biggest problem is that the first trailer for the movie didn't make it look good. Those three things have created a very bad situation for the movie's financial prospects. Normally, I would say that internet opinion has nearly zero bearing on the real world but this is the rare time when it's created really terrible and nearly insurmountable negative publicity.

All that being said, I don't own Sony so I don't really care how much the movie makes, I just hope it's good.

As Travis has pointed out, the issues have been pretty well documented. Although, Travis seems to have a less damning assessment of the film so far than I do. I definately understand the negative reactions to the trailer as, IMO it has all the ear markings of a hacky comedy. Somewhere in is thread is a testimonial from someone who worked on the film who saw a rough cut and pretty much confirmed it was awful (granted we can't prove that the person is telling the truth, but the synopsis the person gave appeared pretty consistent with the information gleaned by the trailers). There are rumors that McCarthy was very critical of the scripts as well as rumors of ego clashes between at least two out of the main cast (who was getting more lines, screentime etc.) which had to be addressed at the cost of dropping everything else that was being worked on.

For me, it's not sexism. Wiig and McCarthy have been successful IMO in other Feig comedies. Maybe for some people it is sexism (although I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those who think the female casting was forced), but there's no way it full blow sexism as the social justice warriors would have you believe. It just doesn't look like a good movie. Time will tell, I suppose. I suspect the movie will do well in attracting the "Paul Blart"/"Grown Ups" audience.

Also, one has to remember that Ghostbusters is a pretty sacred movie to a lot of people. There really aren't many like it in that sense. And really, Ghostbuster is as close to a near perfect film as you can get in the sense that it really fires on all cylinders with regards to story, script, performances, comedy, chemistry, effects, cinematography, music and direction. It certainly doesn't need to be remade, and I can't think anyone filmmaker in their right mind could expect to improve the brand. The idea that apparently this doesn't seem to be understood but the people involved in making this does not give me much faith in what the final product will be. This remake just seems like a dumb all around idea.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The short list of what's wrong? Here, it's a pretty concise summation of everything that is going on with Ghostbusters:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
My problem is the cast, not that they are women but, that they are these women. I'm just not a fan of any of their previous work, except for maybe Wiig. I'm also just so sick and tired of every mainstream comedy being nothing but sex jokes these days. Most of the jokes in the three trailers are about sex in some way. It's not funny and I was done wasting my money on those types of comedies many years ago. I never understood the love for movies like Bridesmaids and The Hangover, but that's what the jokes in this movie remind me of so, for that, I'm staying away. It all just feels like one SNL skit after another and SNL hasn't been funny to me since the '90s. So yes, may problem is the cast (not their gender) and the tone. It just completely misses the mark for me and doesn't look entertaining at all.

The original was a smart comedy that didn't have to rely on dirty SNL jokes to entertain but, Hollywood doesn't know who to make comedies like that anymore. Look at Hemsworth in the Int. trailer; he's portrayed as being so dumb that he can't answer a phone. Janine in the original was not dumb but, she was still funny. Writers these days just don't know how to pull that off.

Call me sexist if you want, I know it is not true but, I'm not caving in, this movie isn't getting a dime from me. Make a smart, funny Ghostbusters film and I'm there. Until then, I'll stick to the original.

EDIT: One last thought, rant. Based on the trailers, this movie appears to have been made by a bunch of people who have been told how funny and great the original was but, have never watched it themselves.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe for some people it is sexism (although I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those who think the female casting was forced), but there's no way it full blow sexism as the social justice warriors would have you believe.
Definitely not. If it was only sexist dopes crying, no one would be paying attention to them at this point. If the trailer had made the movie look good, the outcry over the cast's gender and the movie being remade at all would basically be gone by now. They released a lousy trailer (if it gets as bad of a reaction that it got, it's a bad trailer) and it made the movie's buzz much worse.

Call me sexist if you want, I know it is not true...
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that everyone who thinks this movie looks bad is sexist. I'm saying that sexism is a reason for some people and to say that isn't an issue for some guys is as silly as the people who blame the trailer's negative reaction entirely on sexism.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So according to Dan Aykroyd:

"As originator of the original: Saw test screening of new movie. Apart from brilliant, genuine performances from the cast both female and male, it has more laughs and more scares than the first 2 films plus Bill Murray is in it! As one of millions of man-fans and Ray Stantz, I'm paying to see that and bringing all my friends!"

Mind you, he does have a stake in this movie doing well (Rights=$$$ in his pocket), plus he did give us Blues Brothers 2000, and the creator backing a project is not a high water mark of quality (James Cameron said that Terminator Genesys was the best thing ever), so take this with the huge grain of salt that it deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks