What's new

Getting New $150 Sub (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Well I haven't heard it personally, but I think I see some flaws.

Flaw #1: There are two quite small reflex ports on the back that turn me off.

Flaw #2: The amp looks incredibly cheasy

Flaw #3: The box looks cheasy, especially on the back, it appears to be partical board, Lame IMO.

Flaw #4: Looks like a low quality driver.

I would like to suggest the HSU STF-1. It is very small, and doesn't mess around. If it is anything like my STF-2, it will impress you for the price. You can get one for $300 factory direct, the shipping charges are $16 and it comes with a 2 year warranty and for $30 you can up that to a 5 year warranty. You may also look for a used one for cheaper on ebay or something. Maybe even look into SVS.

I know this isn't what you posted you could pay, but if it were me I would try to find a way to get myself something that can stand the test of time and sound good doing it. There aren't to many $150 new subs that you can buy that will give you good performance.

Alan M

Second Unit
In its price range,

That parts express sub gets some very nice reviews from folks here,and on avs forum.

tagerrung

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
thanks guys,
and Seth, i understand and appreciate your concern about me asking for the impossible with a 150 dollar sub but 150 is already pushing it for me....im laready gonna buy a 1000 dollar system for my car and im trying to find a way to pay for that too....so i cant buy what you just posted

Thanks Alan too, i looked around on google about reviews and a good amount of people spoke well of them.

but i actually saw on another forum that people preferred the

Athena ASP400

how does that compare?

and one more thing Seth, tell me about the reflex ports? what do they do to cripple my system?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Cheap ports cause port noise, chuffing if you will. The air coming out makes a similar sound to being it the backseat of a car with the windows down. Now I can't verify the sub will do this but the ports do look cheap and they seem a little too small.

As for the Athena, I had one, it was the king of port noise. It was most deffinitely the most annoying sub I have ever owned.

dezgot

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim

I have one of these subs, and I feel as if I can address these suspicions about the unit.

1: The reflex ports are significant in size (you can fit plastic cups in them if you want to plug the sub), and in practice they are certainly not an issue.

2: The amp is of higher quality than the pictures would suggest. The knobs are actually a soft rubber and the controls are quite enjoyable to use. I was impressed with the overall quality of the unit when it arrived.

3: The box is made from MDF, and has a protecting layer of some sort of plastic covering the entirety of its surface. However, the ports are made of a hard cardboard, and not plastic.

4: The drivers that originally shipped with this unit were crap. I had to send mine back. This model earned a bad reputation due to its original driver. However, when I got my replacement driver in, it was actually a different design, the only (but extremely) noticeable difference being that the surround had increased in size by what I approximate to be 25%. (Now I can easily hit 24hz :D )

However, now that my driver is a decent driver, my box has had a major flaw revealed (particular to my individual unit), in that it actually emits a horrid rattle at about 82hz at loud volume levels. Now I am faced with having to pay to have the whole box shipped back for replacement.

I don't whole-heartedly recommend this model because of my two problems with it, bu I would recommend this sub for you because you are on a budget, and it is an extraordinary value. I know that $150 is much different than $250 when money is tight, and I believe that my problems were isolated, and that even on the off chance that they weren't, parts express will take care of you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The amps are fairly decent in those subs, as are most of the sub amps PE carries. The cabinets are likely far better built than they look. If you take a look at their sub kits, the cabinets are fairly decent construction wise.

At $150 I have no problem recommending this sub at all. The 10 and 12 inch versions currently being sold are also the second generation of them, which hopefully means they solved some of the bugs the older ones had.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
John, didn't you recomend the Onyx 8" sub for $199 for some one else, maybe that is the ticket. And hey it looks nice too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For $199, it has pretty good specs. Doesn't go real low, and won't move a ton of air, but not everyone is looking for that either. This guy, as well as the STF-1, should round out the bottom end just right for someone with a smaller room (like a bedroom) and/or someone not looking to rumble the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks