What's new

Getting a new DVD player (maybe DVD Audio) (1 Viewer)

Adam E.L.

Auditioning
I am looking at getting a new DVD player. This forum was a great help when I bought my Pioneer DV353 about two years ago (which is still going great without one single problem so far). I am hoping you guys can help again.

I am buying a new computer with a dvd burner and the DV353 won't support burned DVD's. I am hoping to spend around $150 CDN for a new player but I am willing to spend a little more if the player is of much better quality (and supports DVD Audio and/or SACD). The models I am currently looking at are:

Panasonic: DVDS55, DVDS97, DVDF87
Pioneer: DV363 and DV563

I know there is a problem with the Pioneer DV563, but I assume the DVD-A compatability issue would be fixed if I were to buy a unit now. If anybody has any suggestions or info on these or any other comparable players that would be greatly appreciated. Also if anybody out there know of any good places in the Greater Toronto area where I can find these models or comparable ones that would be of great help also. 2001 Aduio/Video and Future Shop only carry select models.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam,

The dvd players you're considering are all good. Be aware of a few things. The Panasonic's will support dvd-ram. However, I THINK they playback dvd-r formats. Check with the Panasonic site. Also, they have DTS decoders. Sometimes those interfere with home theater receivers.

The Pioneer dv363 seems less problematic.

Sorry, I live in FL, most stores I shop are not in Canada.

Good luck! Geri

Adam E.L.

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. I never even considered dvd-ram playback. That's a good feature but I never caught that the Panasonic doesn't support DVD-R, DVD-RW. The site only says it supports Panasonic DVD-R recorded on Panasonic DVD recorders. That doesn't do much for me. I guess I am leaning toward the Pioneers right now. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks