What's new

Getting a cell phone, need suggestions (1 Viewer)

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Dennis, I'm holding onto my TDMA mostly because the coverage maps for GSM look so much more sparse than the TDMA coverage. Of couse, the TDMA includes analog reception. I don't know how much longer analog signals will/can be used ... or even if they still are ....

I still remember making a cell call in the middle of freakin Yellowstone Park, where signs posted everywhere said not to expect any signal reception (tv, cell phone, etc.).

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Elinor,

That's one of the advantages of the GSM system- lower power use than CDMA or TDMA. But the actual handsets themselves use more power since you cannot separate their guts from the trendy color screens ;).

-P

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
Ah- that's why I opted for a phone & plan w/ the best of both worlds. Nation GSM Family talk with GAIT service added on to my account for no charge. THE GAIT feature allows me to roam for no charge on the older (non-GSM) networks. Although the phone's ancient looking with a small b&w screen (Nokia 6340i), I have GSM/TDMA/AMPS which gives me everything I really need signal wise in the U.S. Cingular has roaming agreements everywhere now for customers w/ the GAIT feature. The phone's RF capabilities are good indoors too. I can always swap out my SIM to a higher end GSM phone whenever I want. And a new replacement 6340i is only $30 on ebay ;).

best,
P

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
The main GSM coverage band in N. America is the 850(mhz?) band, the other being the 1900. Overseas they use 900mhz instead of 850. The Sony-Ericsson k700i and s700i are "international" versions that support 900/1800/1900 bands. The s710a ("americas") version of the s700 is the one that Cingular will be selling exclusively soon, which supports 850/1800/1900.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks