What's new

Gentle Giant, Camel, PFM (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I've been on the HTF for 3 years and never went to 'Music' forum. This will be an expensive one(like the others aren't).

I did a search on one of my favorite 70's band- The Strawbs, and some other bands came up in the threads...

It seems a lot of people were(are) into Gentle Giant, Camel, and PFM. Could you all please recommend which albums by these bands I should start with?

Thanks- I'm looking forward to some new old music.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The essential Gentle Giant (IMO) would be the first three albums: Gentle Giant, Aquiring the Taste and Freehand. I also like Power and the Glory a lot.

As for Camel, I like pretty much everything I've heard, although their style does change with the later albums. Moonmadness, The Snow Goose or Rain Dances are faves of mine. While I'm not a big fan of compilations, the Echoes retrospective covers thier catalogue and will give a good idea what to expect from the different eras of the band.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If you like prog rock, then Camel are wonderful (probably the best prog rock concert I ever went to was a Camel one). However, as Jeff has said, their music has different phases (not unlike Floyd or Genesis). Their best known album is 'The Snow Goose' (based on the Paul Gallico book/film) which is very melodic, has orchestral backing and is not very typical of their other work. Of their early stuff, Moonmadness is good. I haven't kept up with their more recent stuff, but of the 'middle period' try 'Nude' (if you can find it!) and 'I can see your house from here'. As an off-shoot try the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. If I remember correctly, one of the early members was Simon Jeffes (now alas dead) who used PCO as a front for his solo work.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Camel has so many good albums, it's hard to choose from. I would suggest trying to locate some samples first to see how much of it you like.

I would also suggest taking a look at the German band ELOY. The three remastered albums are great (Floating, Inside, Power and the Passion), and I'm hoping EMI gets its act together and releases the rest of them, especially Ocean.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The essential Gentle Giant (IMO) would be the first three albums: Gentle Giant, Aquiring the Taste and Freehand. I also like Power and the Glory a lot.
Freehand is actually a later album. Thier third album is Three Friends.

The essential GG albums, IMO, are Three Friends, Octopus, Power and the Glory, and Freehand.

Camel: I only have their early stuff: Mirage, Snow Goose, and Moonmadness. All are excellent, with Moonmadness being my favorite.

PFM: I have Per Un Amico and L'Isola Di Nienta, which I believe are considered to be their prime work. Besides recommending them, I strongly suggest getting the Italian versions rather than the translated ones, even though they may be tougher to find.

NP: King Crimson, The Power To Believe
(I know, big surprise :) )

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Freehand is actually a later album. Thier third album is Three Friends.
Hmm, I have that listed as a 1972 release, same year as Three Friends. No matter, great album.

Haven't heard PFM. I may have to get some of my Italian connections on that one.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
I defintely agree with Octopus. Gentle Giant(1) is another. My personal favorites are Power and the Glory, and In a Glss House. ( This was never released here, try to get an import at amazonuk))

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Ooops, there are afew other bands I just remembered. National Health,Egg,Curved Air(think Stewart Copeland was in a later version))801(Phil Manzanera and Eno)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I see that a few of the Camel discs are remastered... of course most I already have the first release of. Grrr

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Here's allmusic.com's page on Giant:
Gentle Giant

I did forget Glass House, which is another masterpiece. I had to order that CD from the band's web site, since it was out of print until recently.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the scoop on PFM:

Their early prog period albums: Storia di un minuto, Per un amico, Photos of Ghosts (English version of Per un amico), L'isola di niente, The World Became The World (English version of L'isola..) and Cook (Live in The USA) are all excellent. All but Photos and The World are in Italian, however, the English lyrics to these 2 albums are not direct translations of the Italian lyrics, but new lyrics written by Peter Sinfield. Some of the mixes are different as well.

Next came Jet Lag, Chocolate Kings and Passpartu. The lead vocals were assumed by Bernardo Lanzetti (ex-Aqua Fragile). These 3 albums are in English and are very good, leaning toward a more jazz fusion-oriented style. Lanzetti's voice is a cross between Roger Chapman and Peter Gabriel (more Chapman).

Then came PFM's "pop" period, Suonare Suonare, Miss Baker, PFM?PFM! and La Riva della Citta. These albums are fine Italian pop rock, but if you're looking for prog, forget it.

In 1997, the band released "Ulisee", a return to a more prog/pop combination. I personally like this album a lot, as well as its follow-up double-live "www.pfmpfm.it (il best)". A superb live album, it features a good review of the band's entire career. In 2000, the band released "Serendipity". I haven't listened to this much yet, but my early impressions are mixed, seems they're getting into a techno-like feel. Finally, there's "PFM Live in Japan-2002", excellent with 2 new songs (one with vocals by Peter Hammill!). There is also a fine R2 DVD of this concert that I like a lot.

As you can tell, I'm quite a PFM fan (have been since the 70's). The band is still going strong, still quite adventurous and a lot of fun. Just stay away from the 80's pop albums mentioned above.

One final note: Get Camel's latest "A Nod & A Wink". It is excellent and hasn't left my car CD changer since I got it!

Ted

James Edward

Supporting Actor
OK- I'm on it. A major J&R expedition set for Thursday. I'm printing this thread out before I head in. Thanks for all the info.

Louis- That is a GREAT link. I love what I'm hearing. Thanks.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just as a note, the early PFM albums (and Banco albums) have been recently remastered in Italy and sell for a pretty cheap price (about $11). You can tell them because they are being released in Digipak format. I got mine from Wayside Music. www.waysidemusic.com

Jason

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i'd recomend the live album by camel as a good starting point[get the recent remaster]

Louis C

Supporting Actor
James, Glad you like it. ("Playing the Game" currently playing!)

My personal favs of Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool: The Official Live, Octopus, Acquiring the Taste, and definitely you have to get Free Hand

Camel: Moonmadness, and the Snow Goose - you can't go wrong with either one

Their early prog period albums: Storia di un minuto, Per un amico, Photos of Ghosts (English version of Per un amico), L'isola di niente, The World Became The World (English version of L'isola..) and Cook (Live in The USA) are all excellent.
I completely agree

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I picked up Moonmadness by Camel and Octopus by Gentle Giant. So far, I'm finding the Camel album much more to my liking. Snowgoose is definitely next. I think Octopus is going to be more of an acquired taste, but hey, I've got the time.

I'll have to get the PFM albums online. J&R only had one, and it was not one of the recommended ones from you fine folks.

Thanks for the replies. Any Triumvirat fans out there? I'd love to get 'Spartacus' on CD. What a GREAT album.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I just checked- Spartacus IS available- remastered too. It had been delayed so long, I just thought it was the
'To Live and Die in LA' of the CD world.

Double Dimple too!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
James, Gentle Giant certainly does involve "acquiring the taste," but if you're into that kind of thing, it's the best their is.

Just stay away from the 80's pop albums mentioned above.
I think most people feel that's pretty much true of most prog bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks