What's new

General DTS Question (1 Viewer)

Greg W L

Agent
I have a Toshiba 2710 DVD and a Marantz 5200 (no problems), and I have a couple of DTS related questions. When a DVD has DTS, I like to listen to that audio choice. I make the correct choice on the DVD, and then select DTS on my receiver. There has never been any problems with the movie it self, but the openings sometimes have no sound...the THX thing, and some other opening info does not have any sound. Also when playing the extras, I have to switch the receiver off of DTS. Am I doing something wrong?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
You're not doing anything wrong. When they master the DVD's, my experience is that they rarely have anything in DTS EXCEPT for the program material, itself. You'll have to switch back to DD, generally, in order to hear the other material.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your receiver has an auto detect mode, that should fix it. If you "force" DTS, then you will not hear sound in menus or intros, previews, etc...since they are all normally some version of Dolby. (menus in DTS would be kind of silly, unless it was a DTS ONLY disc)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this can help. If you are viewing a movies with the THX trailer, I believe the default will be in Dolby Digital. I think I have experience this as well where as if you look on your reciever it should tell you if it is in DD or DTS. It will play in DD for THX, then switch back to DTS when the intro finishes. Maybe it's a design flaw in the reciever itself if. You shouldn't have to touch the reciever if has auto detect mode. That's kind of what John is saying. Hope that helps.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks