What's new

General Custer on DVD (1 Viewer)

I am looking for any movies on Custer and his battle at the Little Big Horn. I am heading to the battlefield latter in the summer with my soon to be wife and she knows very little of him and the battle that took place there. Any recomendations?

Thanks,
Scott

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Little Big Man is not on dvd. An even better choice would be Son of the Morning Star, but that isn't on dvd either (it is on laser disc). Offhand, I can't think of any film or documentary about Custer's Last Stand on dvd.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Anchor Bay has a DVD out called"Custer of the West" with Robert shaw in the starring role ..Not sure how historically acurate it is or anything ..but you may want to check it out.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon, you are right about the Custer of the West disc, it has been out for years now; however, I believe that it is one of the worst releases ever, dreadful sound and pictures and pan and scan ...check out some of the reviews before considering this one.

a shame, as I would love this film as it is the first film I remember seeing in a cinema.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Custer Of The West was originally available from Simitar in pan and scan. They later released a wide-screen version that was better but had some splices. I believe Anchor Bay has the film in the roadshow version, complete. It was produced in 70mm and presented in "Cinerama" on its initial release. It is not a great film and definately is not in Cinerama. It is now owned by ABC/Disney.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have the Anchor Bay Custer Of The West and it is a two sided disc. P&S on one side and wide screen 2.20:1 (the correct aspect ratio for Super Techirama 70 millimeter) on the other side. The transfer is quite decent. The film is complete although lacking the overture, intermission and entr'acte of the roadshow release.

Thanks for the input. I think I remember seeing Son of the Morning Star on TV. Was this a mini-series or made for TV movie? I'll see if it is available to rent on VHS at the video store.

Thanks again.
Scott

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have the Anchor Bay Custer Of The West and it is a two sided disc. P&S on one side and wide screen 2.20:1 (the correct aspect ratio for Super Techirama 70 millimeter) on the other side. The transfer is quite decent. The film is complete although lacking the overture, intermission and entr'acte of the roadshow release.
The video transfer is fine but the sound is only mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks