What's new

Gear Integration Question (1 Viewer)

scottbailey

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hey all!

I wanted to pick the minds of those with home theater experience regarding some of the gear I own and see how well you feel they'll integrate together.

I have the following that can be set up:

1 Behringer Xenyx502
1 Behringer DCX2496
2 M-Audio BX8a
2 M-Audio BX5a

My current set up (mostly for basic audio listening that I do) is, just running into the Xynyx, then 1/4" out into my BX8's. I picked up the two BX5s' at a garage sale one day for a nice steal, and considering they're the younger sibling to the 8's, I figured why not?

I'm wanting to see if I can rather seamlessly step into the home theater world using the gear I already own. It seems that most people use passive speakers, but I'm finding it difficult to find anyone else who is using active speakers like myself for their setup. I plugged it all in earlier into the DCX, and the only problem I appeared to be having was with the crossovers. Granted, I didn't play around with it a whole lot, because I'm restricted for time at the moment.

So, knowing that my speakers work in this environment, is the DCX still a component worth keeping in the chain, and does anyone have any background using active speakers with the built in cross overs? I imagine I would just tell the DCX to work in the operating range of their specs, but I'm unsure. Eventually I will purchase a sub and if I'm still using the DCX, use that to tell the sub to take over what the BX's have trouble pushing out.

Thanks for any info and insight I can receive from you guys!

Scott

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You use a pre-pro with self-powered speakers.

Emotiva and Outlaw both have models under $600.

If you want XLR, pre-pro are up over $1500...unless you buy used.

You "can" keep the 2496 in your system...but Audyssey(etc) will do what it does anyway.

scottbailey

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
schan1269 said:
You use a pre-pro with self-powered speakers.

Emotiva and Outlaw both have models under $600.

If you want XLR, pre-pro are up over $1500...unless you buy used.

You "can" keep the 2496 in your system...but Audyssey(etc) will do what it does anyway.
Are there any particular units that one would recommend? I saw http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/pt-7030-home-theater at Emotiva. While that looks like a pretty reasonable price for what I'm looking to do, are there any other options available that are recommended?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends how much you want to spend.

You can search Audiogon(Ebay sometimes has them) for older Onkyo PRC and Integra DTC. Those are routinely $600-$900 if they are prior HDMI 1.3(meaning won't pass 3D...unless you are lucky).

Another popular option...and they are plentiful and cheap...

Onkyo 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 717
Even better if you spring for 805, 806...818.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks