What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update Matt.
Just watched series 1 again which I enjoyed even more this time around.
Trust the BD of 2 and the finale will be out soon.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A press release states that HBO will release the Looking movie on November 15th. However, the cover art says it is the complete series with the movie. Which is okay I guess since we never did get season 2, but we are being forced to rebuy season 1!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A press release states that HBO will release the Looking movie on November 15th. However, the cover art says it is the complete series with the movie. Which is okay I guess since we never did get season 2, but we are being forced to rebuy season 1!
I mentioned my irritation with this in the Looking announcement thread. Very infuriating to have to rebuy season one for fans who want the whole run.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I pre-ordered Season 2 from Amazon UK back in July 2015(!) and was amazed to see this pushed back to a July 2017 release. I recently contacted HBO who said that it was available digitally and would be released soon - wonder if this 'full set' is what they meant? Amazon still have series 2 advertised.....

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For those of you that did want to own a copy of Tab Hunter Confidential, it is coming out as a Blu-ray in addition to the previously mentioned DVD.
tabhunterconfidential_3D_Blu_Ray.png

https://www.amazon.com/Tab-Hunter-C...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1472266716&sr=8-2

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those of you that did want to own a copy of Tab Hunter Confidential, it is coming out as a Blu-ray in addition to the previously mentioned DVD.

https://www.amazon.com/Tab-Hunter-C...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1472266716&sr=8-2

Ooh, glad I check this thread every now and then.

That looks like an interesting documentary.

My only quibble is that it seems a lot of documentaries on Blu from Amazon are BD-Rs now (This, Janis, Being Evel, and All Things Must Pass are the ones I know of so far). But I suppose they wouldn't be on Blu otherwise, would they?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I recently joined Netflix, and this movie was one they already had in their library, so I watched it. It was, like his autobiography, open about some things and still guarded about others, but I did enjoy the film and seeing clips from various projects of his and newsreel footage of his arranged dates in the 1950s.

I'm not sure it would have much re-watch value for me. I'd rather watch Damn Yankees for the hundredth time.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I recently joined Netflix, and this movie was one they already had in their library, so I watched it. It was, like his autobiography, open about some things and still guarded about others, but I did enjoy the film and seeing clips from various projects of his and newsreel footage of his arranged dates in the 1950s.

I'm not sure it would have much re-watch value for me. I'd rather watch Damn Yankees for the hundredth time.

Damn Yankees is the one "blind buy" film I sought after seeing this film and ended up buying on DVD on the secondary market since it it out of print. I haven't made the time to watch it yet, but I am wondering what other Tab Hunter films folks would recommend for entertainment value. I love Lust in the Dust, which I bought years ago, Polyester, and well, I yea, watch Grease 2 from time to time. (Maxwell Caufiled's appearance in that film was another of those "I knew I was gay" moments in childhood.)

I would've passed on buying the Blu-ray of THC if there was not the option to buy one autographed by Tab himself. I am a sucker for stuff like that. For those looking for personalized autographed copies of the film on DVD or Blu-ray, those are available here
http://tabhunter.com/dvd.html

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ooh, glad I check this thread every now and then.

That looks like an interesting documentary.

My only quibble is that it seems a lot of documentaries on Blu from Amazon are BD-Rs now (This, Janis, Being Evel, and All Things Must Pass are the ones I know of so far). But I suppose they wouldn't be on Blu otherwise, would they?
I can confirm that the Blu-ray is a BD-R and that it comes in the same packaging as the DVD, and has a spot on the back that Tab autographs if you request it when ordering it from his page.

At first glance I thought they had sent me the DVD until I looked at the disc itself. It also seems like it is directly coming from Tab and his business PO Box in Santa Barbara.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can confirm that the Blu-ray is a BD-R and that it comes in the same packaging as the DVD, and has a spot on the back that Tab autographs if you request it when ordering it from his page.

At first glance I thought they had sent me the DVD until I looked at the disc itself. It also seems like it is directly coming from Tab and his business PO Box in Santa Barbara.
Thanks for the information. This is great to know.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the info. I only have Carrington on laserdisc, and I haven't watched it in years. It's due for a revisit as soon as I can find some free time.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Damn Yankees is the one "blind buy" film I sought after seeing this film and ended up buying on DVD on the secondary market since it it out of print. I haven't made the time to watch it yet, but I am wondering what other Tab Hunter films folks would recommend for entertainment value. I love Lust in the Dust, which I bought years ago, Polyester, and well, I yea, watch Grease 2 from time to time. (Maxwell Caufiled's appearance in that film was another of those "I knew I was gay" moments in childhood.)

I would've passed on buying the Blu-ray of THC if there was not the option to buy one autographed by Tab himself. I am a sucker for stuff like that. For those looking for personalized autographed copies of the film on DVD or Blu-ray, those are available here
http://tabhunter.com/dvd.html

DAMN YANKEES is still available in Spain. It's a genuine release.One of the great classical musicals.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Finally got to watch this over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, with the interviews/information doing a pretty good job of keeping right down the middle between overshare and being too vague. The fact Tab's sexuality was fairly well known back in the day to everyone around him impressed me; the fact no one seemed to care (outside of the tabloids, really) was even more impressive.

On a strictly purile note: damn, he was gorgeous...and he's a good looking older guy. :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I really enjoyed it, with the interviews/information doing a pretty good job of keeping right down the middle between overshare and being too vague.

I can't help but think that Allan did some of the interviewing himself. There's a potentially awkward moment concerning details of one of Tab's past loves (Robbie, I think?) when he (only half) jokes to the interviewer and says, "What do you wanna know??" Something about the couple-speak tone made me think it could ONLY have been said to a current love about an old love. It was cute to me that, after 35 years together, there's still a little jealousy over the past.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
If you have a chance to see Moonlight, you should go. While I am still in the post-film high I only get after seeing truly incredible works of art, I have to say this film is now in my top ten of all LGBT-themed films ever, though, frankly, that label is too limiting. It is an amazing film. Period.
14612528_909553539177627_1046865175783768768_o.jpg

I would actually advise you to NOT watch the trailer, as I did not before seeing the film, and I feel like too much is in the trailer, but here it is for those of you that like a sample before you buy your ticket:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks