What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I love Auntie Mame since I saw the film on a screen as a teen in the mid''60s. I have loved watching it over and over again with my wife and children. I also saw the same production you saw of Mame, with Juliet Prowse, in Dallas. Even read both books: Auntie Mame, and Around the World with Auntie Mame. I couldn't stop laughing.
Rosalind Russell remains the creator and quintessential Mame for me.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
"Rosalind Russell remains the creator and quintessential Mame for me." -Bujaki

Exactly how I feel as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I couldn't get tickets for Lansbury's Mame on Broadway, but I saw two of her replacements: Janis Paige and Ann Miller. Both sold the show like there was no tomorrow. I think it's one of the GREAT musicals of the 1960s and for me actually betters the non-musical version by combining some secondary characters and eliminating others. Plus there is that SCORE which I think is Jerry Herman's best, better than Dolly! or La Cage.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I agree with Matt that the score for Mame is superior to that of Dolly's or La Cage; however, I have a very, very soft spot for Mack and Mabel's score (I Won't Send Roses, and Time Heals Everything always stop my world), and the book, albeit flawed, is about our favorite subject: MOVIES.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Started reading the book of Auntie Mame on Jose's recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Steve, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Do follow up with the sequel, Around the World with Auntie Mame, which was dedicated by Patrick Dennis to Rosalind Russell. There must have been a reason for that, don't you think?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've only seen it once, Matt, but it's stayed with me and my wife after all these years. It also confirmed what a great actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt is.
On a similar vein, have you checked the movie L.I.E (2001), with Brian Cox and Paul Dano? Cox, playing a conflicted man, in unforgettable.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
bujaki said:
I've only seen it once, Matt, but it's stayed with me and my wife after all these years. It also confirmed what a great actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt is.
On a similar vein, have you checked the movie L.I.E (2001), with Brian Cox and Paul Dano? Cox, playing a conflicted man, in unforgettable.
I don't know it, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll see about checking it out.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I saw this and thought of your comment, MatthewA:

Walt Disney World cuts ties [and funding] with Boy Scouts of America Until They Become Fully Inclusive

MatthewA wrote:

Both with and without Walt, and possibly by accident, underneath all those boy/girl love stories, Disney's been promoting a gay agenda for decades. Like here and here. And here. And here. And here (he was also called a "punk poet" back when punk wasn't a subgenre of rock). And here. And Johnny getting beat up over his shirt collar in Song of the South. And Hayley Mills' little brother getting teased for his androgynous hairstyle in Summer Magic. And Merriweather's hatred of pink in Sleeping Beauty (an animated movie based on a Tchaikovsky ballet, no less, and one of the few films where the prince is more interesting than the princess). And the editor cutting away from Tommy Kirk and Annette Funicello every time they kiss in the Merlin Jones movies. And even in a minor film like Gus, where Ed Asner gets kissed on the lips by a man and brushes it off as no big deal (unlike Paramount's Planes, Trains and Automobiles, where Steve Martin and John Candy panic after the "those aren't pillows" sequence). And don't forget, they produced The Golden Girls (Blanche's brother was gay) and Ellen, or that the work of an openly gay lyricist helped save theatrical animation. And the fact that they own ABC, which airs the 20th Century Fox-produced Modern Family. And now with the penultimate episode of Good Luck Charlie, Disneyland is finally our land, to paraphrase Walt, and we've moved up from "veiled subtext" to living openly and honestly as ourselves in their films and TV shows. Even the statue of Disneyland is of two sentient males (albeit of a different species) holding hands. And after the Divine/Ursula thing, they paid John Waters back by letting him do a voice in a Disney Channel cartoon.

And I couldn't be happier. Unless the home video division got its act together. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
bujaki said:
I saw it eons ago. I remember being more than a little freaked out and disappointed by it. L.I.E. came out at a time where I wanted all movies with a gay character or plot to be something--I'm not sure what--and when they didn't measure up, I felt let down. A good number of people like the movie, so I know I was too immature to understand what was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks