What's new

Gateway Country Stores (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi gang,

Gateway has announced that they are closing all of their retail stores by April 9. I called the local store and they said they didn't know of any special sale. If anyone hears anything otherwise, please post here!

(On the other hand, I have seen Gateway PCs at Costco this week. Maybe there's a connection.)

Chun Lam

Agent
I'm curious, where did you hear this? I have a relative who works for Gateway - I'll ask him.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I heard it on the TV news this morning. There's a statement at www.gateway.com (it's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page).

The TV said they're laying off 2500 people. I hope your relative isn't one of them!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, Gateway is definitely shutting down their retail stores - all of them - on April 9th. This is part of their restructuring plan after the eMachines aquisition, as are the layoffs (some of which are eMachines employees).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So Gateway acquired eMachines? How did that go? My understanding is that eMachines aren't exactly up to the standard of brands like Gateway or Dell.

Chris_Cur

Agent
They're blowing out plasma TVs in at least some of their stores. My local store sold out of all their plasma and lcd TVs within two hours on Friday; the salesman said the 50" TVs went for $2000, and the 42" for just over $1000.

The only thing they had left at the store was one 50" screen that had already been sold. The employees were all sitting on the store couch watching it... I can't blame them, either. Why sweat it when the shop closes in 4 days?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't get to my local Gateway store until Monday night, and almost everything was gone. Gateway merch was only 15% off anyway, so there weren't any amazing deals to be had (they had only 2 desktops and 3 laptops left though!) There were a few digital cameras, MP3 players, and accessories though. I picked up a 128 MB Creative Labs Muvo MP3 Player/ USB Memory chip for $50. I later read the reviews on Amazon that say it's an unreliable piece of crap, but that it's great while it works. Oh well. Hopefully mine will last.

Chun Lam

Agent
Yeah, my relative who works (soon to be worked) for Gateway said the plasma TVs were gobbled up by the employees. $1300 for a 42" display model, plus their employee discount - which I believe was 10%.

Ah well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You'd think the "soon to be unemployed" would balk at spending such a large chunk, deal or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks