What's new

Gamma Setting- How Does It Affect Picture Quality? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
How does changing the gamma setting via my DVD player(Mits DD-8040) affect picture quality?
In broad strokes, I can see that a + setting seems to lighten the overall picture, and possibly skew it to blue.

A - setting seems to darken it and skew it toward red.

What exactly is it doing? Is it worth trying to recalibrate my display(Tosh 57HX81) to one of the other settings?

I'm fairly satisfied now with my picture; I'm just wondering whether this setting could somehow enhance things with a little recalibration...

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This may sound like a silly answer, but it's an easy one:

the gamma setting adjusts the gamma...

If you would prefer a different gamma, you could use this to adjust that if you'd like. I like a gamma of about 2.3 or so.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Changing the gamma setting may improve or degrade the distinguishing of shadow detail, or may improve or degrade the distinguishing of detail in bright parts of the scene.

Changing the gamma should not cause a reddish or bluish shift, otherwise the gamma behavior or the gray scale behavior of the red, blue, and green (yes they may differ) is not quite right and may or may not be correctable.

If you change gamma, you need to go back and forth recalibrating brightness and contrast.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks