What's new

Games that everyone liked but you didn't... (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Just want everyone's opinion -

What's the game (or games) that seemed to be universally praised, but you just didn't like?

I have two that come to mind: Crazy Taxi (for Dreamcast) and Jet Grind Radio (also for DC). Crazy Taxi (in my opinion) was only fun for about 30 seconds, and Jet Grind Radio was much, much to difficult (avoiding the cops was the hardest part for me).

Oh, I also got All Star Baseball 2003 for the XBox, and I hate that too. But not so much cause it's a bad game (although the fielding sucks, the Home Run animations and commentary suck, and the graphics aren't "X-boxy" enough for me), but because I guess baseball's just too boring for mr.

Funny I should say baseball's boring, cause I love golf games. Go figure.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, JSR and Crazy Taxi are two of my favorite games, so I'd have to disagree with you on those.

As for my head-shaking, "where is the fun?" games, I have never understood the modern Final-Fantasy-style RPG. As my liking for Crazy Money suggests, I enjoy quick fix gaming, and being told that something gets really quite good after the first 6-10 hours is mind-boggling to me. I won't play a game for 6-10 hours in the first place if I'm not having fun.

Also, while I do have fun with them for a while, resource-management games like Sim City confuse the hell out of me. I'm just monumentally poor at them, for some reason.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
why in the hell did so many people buy Black and White??? Thats one that I don't understand. And the Sims, what are you people thinking?

DavidAM

Second Unit
I'm sure I will be the only one to say Halo blows. I guess that's just because I don't like FPS's.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
well, opinions or not, HALO doesnt blow. Sure you didnt like it, but it doesnt blow.

I hated Crazy Taxi and Wreckless(Xbox)

I bought Wreckless and returned it. I also was very excited for State of Emergency..and was rather dissappointed..but reviewers seem to be raving about it.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Crazy Taxi is one of those games that seems to polarise people. Some of us old-school arcade game fans put in hours trying to get the best score or just having fun, while many of the more story-orientated gamers seem unfulfilled without a specific objective to reach, rather than just 'keep going for as long as you can'.

Wreckless seems to be another game thats quite short in terms of reaching a 'completed' sign, but if its your thing you might continue improving your scores and just playing around for ages. My short go on it suggested the handling was a bit sloppy though - for a game that leans so heavily on crashing into things the cars should feel more weighty.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The Gran Turismo series bores me silly. I appreciate it on a technical level and I can see why people love it so, but it does nothing for me.
The original Soul Reaver on the PSX left me cold. Too 'soulless' for me if that makes sense.
The PSX Oddworld games were bland & repetitive SNES platform games dressed up with pretty graphics in my eyes.
I can't stand SNK fighters.
I'm sure there's many more... Me... Opinionated? :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I still don't get the popularity of Resident Evil -- the control is for sh*t and, at least on the PS, the loading was abominable.

Not a big fan of the Factor 5 Star Wars games. And yet I keep getting suckered into buying all of them. Played all of 20 minutes for all 3 games. For a grand total investment of $140, that's $7 a minute for not much fun.

I got a lot more out of SOTE.

Hanson

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Can't get into Super Smash Brothers Mele, nomatter how much I try to play it.

As far as I can tell, it's just button mashing. Doesn't do much for me.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I can't stand SNK fighters.
Yeah, I'm not much for 2D fighters anymore either.

Another one I didn't like (but I really wanted to): Gran Turismo 3. I got tired of the realism - I realized that I am not cut out to be a professional driver. Give me Metropolis Street Racer or Project Gotham Racing (OH YEAH!!) any day over GT.

These are just my opinions. I can appreciate most games for the qualities they possess, but I just can't seem to have FUN with certain games. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Count me in with the folks who couldn't get into the Gran Turismo series. Although I appreciate that there are a lot of people for whom the technical nitty-gritty details of the game hold appeal.
Also, and with all due respect for its many passionate fans here, I was disappointed with my experience with GTA3. Granted, I played only for an hour or so, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe the gameplay was too revolutionary for me... :)
Oh and one more--as pretty as it was, I didn't care for DOA3 as much as I thought I would. I never played DOA2, so it wasn't an issue of not enough innovation in a sequel...but on the other hand I am not a big fighting game fan, so maybe that's it.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
DIABLO! (and DIABLO II!)

I was excited to check that game out, downloaded the demo, and just couldn't believe it...dated graphics, poor animation, and worst of all: boring point and click hack'n'slash ... THIS is what everyone is so obsessed about? I hate those games that are all about collecting "items" and increasing your stats...Where's the gameplay in that?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another one that doesn't care for the Gran Turismo series. In fact, that entire subgenre of more realistic racing games doesn't appeal to me either. For example, Rallisport Challenge doesn't grab me.
I also agree with a few of the other choices in the thread, such as Resident Evil and the Factor 5 Star Wars games, and The Sims (just never got into the pacing of the game).
I've never been able to sustain an interest in console style RPGs like Final Fantasy, mainly for the usual criticisms such as over-emphasizing stat-building. The Starfox series bores me terribly for some reason that I've never cared to figure out :)
And I've never been into the John Madden series of football games, ever since it started. I understand that it's trying to be the most realistic football game out there but somehow it always ends up feeling too sluggish to me.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I agree with you on the Madden games. I find that playing on defense is irrelevant. All the game is, is score score score.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Ooh, I've got another one that is sure to astound...Starcraft! I played Warcraft II quite a bit and liked it a lot, but when I finally got my hands on Starcraft after hearing so many good things about it, I realized I was sick of the whole resource-gathering style of play. Sometimes you just want to wax somebody without training peasants to mine gold to train more peasants to build a barracks to train an archer, then chop wood to build a lumber mill to upgrade arrows, yadda yadda yadda...(yes, that is Warcraft terminology, but you get the idea).
Hmm, now that I look at my selections, I am starting to think maybe I'm just not all that patient when it comes to games...:)

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Real Time Strategy Games
I enjoyed the Warcraft games, but I haven't enjoyed the genre very much since then. Not much strategy is involved...real success in these clickfests is how quickly you can swarm the other guy. Turn-based strategy has all but died in recent years, but luckily it's starting to make a return with such games as Civ 3 and Heroes 4.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
A lot of you posted interesting points about if the game doesn't grab you right away then it is just boring. I'm the same way, but I didn't used to be that way. I used to be able to sit for hours and hours waiting for a game to get good and continue playing it. But now I need instant gratification. I don't have the time or attention span that I used to have to just sit there and watch cut scene after cut scene waiting for it to "get good". I want to be able to pop the game in and instantly get into it. I don't want to have to figure out hard controls or have to read through pages and pages of on screen text as it sets up the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks