What's new

Games that everyone liked but you didn't... (2 Viewers)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Skateboarding games like the Tony Hawk series. I just don't get the appeal. I prefer snowboarding games.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Count me as another person who doesn't like the Final Fantasy series. I bought FFX for the PS2 and I just can't get into it. I love RPGs but not these type. IMO Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was much more fun.

I also got bored quickly with Gran Turismo 3. I couldn't stick with it long enough to even get any good cars. Running the same boring races over and over again just to make a little money is ridiculous. Give me Metropolis Street Racer or Tokyo Extreme Racing any day.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Easy for me:]

Black & White

The Sims (fun for one day)

Gran Tursimo 3 (booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring)

Silent Hill 2

Devil May Cry

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Smash Bros. Series - This has to be the worst fighting game ever! And I can't believe they made a sequel to it. I'll take Kabuki Warriors over Smash Bros. anyday.

Final Fantasy - I have more fun cleaning up dog shit than I do playing these games.

Pokemon - Do I really need to explain why.

Sports Games except the NFL 2k series - I can't stand playing sports games, but for some odd reason I love the NFL 2k series.

The Sims - someone wake me when there is actual gameplay.

Black and White - I thouhgt Tomagotchi's went out of style a long time ago.

Olsen Twin Games - why? when they start making adult games wake me, but until then I must just wonder why?

Tomb Raider Series - tits and ass don't make a game and here is the proof.

Diablo - click, click, click, click, click, click, click die....snooze.

Deer Hunter - again do I need to explain.

oh I could go on with more, but my hands hurt.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I also have to go with Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X. I played Metal Gear Solid 2 for about 2 weeks, then promptly sold it on ebay. I loved the first Final Fantasy game for the nintendo. I still think it was the greatest game of all time. But for some reason I hated number ten. I was so sick of watching the stupid cutscenes. I only played like 15 minutes of the entire game.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I can't believe I'm the first to mention Syphon Filter and its tirelessly bland sequels. The first isn't too bad, until about 75% of the way through... then it plays like 'oops, now we need an ending!'. The ending feels tacked on and you need a frontal lobotomy in order to summon up the colossal reserves of sustainable disbelief required (I've exploded a nuclear missile in LEO and now I'm going to Disneyland... Tee hee!).
It aspires to be Bond, James Bond, but Bond it ain't.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
metalgear2 and gran turismo 3.

metalgear2 was dissapointing from story perspective, while gt3? it was boring as hell. it didnt give me motivation to keep playing. 25 percent into the game, thats it. BORING.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Resident Evil: Bought Code Veronica X used. Sold it on Half.com There might be a good game in there, but I couldnt get into it because the controls SUCKED ASS!!
I agree and disagree with Morgan on GTA3. It is pretty much like the first 2 games, only in 3d. And I thought the first 2 games got old after 10 minutes. But for some reason I LOVED GTA3. :)
Brian

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Liked Devil May Cry at first, but got bored with it quickly.

As for the Street Fighters sucking after SF2Turbo, I have to disagree, SFIII was the bomb.

Also I bought Shadowman 2 after seeing it got decent reviews, but thought it was absolute SHIT. Enter a room, kill 10 monsters using a pathetic control system, door opens, enter next room and repeat. CRAP.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to add mine to the list....
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Loved Metal Gear Solid on PSX and gameplay itself in 2 is great but that story :rolleyes:Ruined it for me.
Black & White - Really fun at first but after you tire of the "Creature" whats left is pretty boring.
Gran Turismo - Just not fun to play for me.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I recently played (for a while) a PS2 game that I found to be one of the most boring platformers I've ever tried, and yet it is on many gamers' Best of 2002 list: Ratchet and Clank. Are the levels huge and the controls tight? You bet. Cute characters and funny story? But, of course. Graphics and framerate? Only the best. Gameplay? Bor-ring.

This game has everything anyone should like in a platformer, but it just couldn't hold my interest. Why is it that collecting (in this case, nuts and bolts) has to be such a huge part of platforming gameplay? You collect literally tens of thousands of these things (where am I storing them, I wonder?), and their only use is to buy bigger and better weapons, which are admittedly cool, but have their own shortfalls. Why not have the weapons hidden, or earn them by defeating bosses? There are thirty-six weapons you can use, each more fantastical than the last, and yet there is no need to use anything but the simplest shooter. The enemy AI is so poor it allows you to stand beyond its range and simply pick off each one from a distance.

You spend most of your time (at least until I stopped, though I can't imagine it ever changes) smashing crates with your wrench and chasing after the nuts and bolts that come spilling out (and why, if nuts and bolts are considered money, are there thousands of crates of them lying about?). The ubiquity of crates has become one of the worst gaming cliches. There are challenges issued by NPCs that you won't be able to attempt for several missions, then you have to backtrack, meanwhile defeating all the same enemies who have respawned. Even my younger brother, who isn't allowed to play videogames at home and will play ANYTHING simply for the experience, found it dull. It's not even a rental, imo.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Warcraft III here. I hate that game, but my friends love it. I like the more traditional RTS like Command & Conquer so when you mix in hit points and all the other RPG crap it really takes a dive for me.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Power Stone 2- the first one was good, but everything that made the first game individual and unique got screwed up.
Now that one I'm going to have to totally disagree with. Power Stone 2 was absolutely fantastic, and fixed a lot of the first one's balance issues (jumpkicks anyone?)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I am going to have to admit that I did not enjoy Vice City as much as I evidently should have. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed those extreme police chases while riding the pizza moped, turning on a dime and escaping and such.. But gameplay wise..it just did not appeal to me. I am someone who loves sequels regardless of quality (there are exceptions: Vice City [well, not a sequel but very much alike gameplay wise] and Jurassic Park III being a couple) but I think Rockstar North blew its load on GTA3. I just don't find PS2 innovative nor do I like the graphics, even with PS, it seems the graphics get out dated way too fast, too choppy (except of course some of the CGI).

Don't get me started on Star Fox. That game is as if Steve-O ate a 9 layered cake and shatted it out into a bowl: thus creating Star Fox Adventures.

Afterall, do we all agree with what we [think] we think or do you let someone's opinion affect your own?. Maybe I am typing this because I am in the moment or how I truly self consciously feel..I have trouble distinguishing my true feelings for some things.

Oh captain my captain

~Bert~

Damien

Supporting Actor
i always said gt3 was just a redo of the first with better graphics.

But playing the first gt in 98', without the genre being so crowded as it was today, was the most exhilirating expirience in my gaming history. it was my best friend after the need for speed series, like a lot of ea's sims, slowly went arcade.

sd for games i don't see the hype:

Mortal kombat 5 - i endorsed this game in an earlier thread, but as time goes on they should of just delayed it instead of cashing in on the holiday sales. No matter what, IMO it is just unacceptable to ship the game with only 1 fatality per person. the worst part is the fatalities were better on a system designed TEN years ago. Some of the best special moves are just gone, and the AI seems more worrisome than on the SNES. Then they should of had 3 to 4 pit fatalities, and introduced something totally off the wall that only the new systems could do...and how can you botch up fatalities...erhhh. I also think the konquest is repetitive, and is also something soul calibur did 10x better 3 years ago. But the gameplay is fun, and somewhat complex, but is also unbalanced in someway, and really doesn't have it's own identity. Again though the whole fighting genere needs to innovate, I think if I had the ps2 and bought tekken 4, i would say the same thing about that game.

Max Payne - Xbox - off the bat: I think since the game was rather scripted, it had no replay value since i never played it more than once for the few hours it lasted. Anyway I don't think the company used the bullet time too well. In fact I had more fun playing syphon filter. It should of maybe be set-up like nightfire, and have rooms with more enemies(like i'm talking serious sam more), or ones with 2-3 well placed ones that this game has. You can choose or figure out which way to go. Maybe I just don't like PC style games either, but this game never flew with me.

Parker

Agent
Silent Hill 2- PS2 (booooooring)

Super Mario Sunshine- GC (i'm jumping, i'm collecting stars, i'm running around, i'm bored)

Resident Evil- GC (forgot about the limiting control scheme til i rented it)

Moto GP Live- X-Box (everyone plays the demo live, but it just doesn't click with me- i'd even rather play whacked!)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
HALO - borrowed from a friend when it first came out and it just didn't do anything for me at all.

METAL GEAR SOLID 2 - Bored me to tears!

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE - Yikes! How do kids get through this thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks