What's new

Game Crazy Stores (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Have any of you heard of a game store chain called Game Crazy? I know they're owned by Hollywood Video (Blockbuster's runner-up in the video rental business) but don't know much else. Are they self-contained stores or inside the video rental locations -or both?

Just curious if you have any experiences with them as they are new to me.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hi Camp -
I've been to a couple of Game Crazy stores in Tucson Arizona when I was working there last summer, and they were both a part of the Hollywood Video right nextdoor. They had their own entrance but they had an opening where you could wander into the video section too.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Hi Camp,

We have a whole bunch here in Portland, Oregon. I've gone in and shopped around and sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on their used games.

KyleK

Second Unit
They are all over the place in Oregon. Service is generally so-so, but if you're looking for an old game you might just get lucky. You can also try the game before you buy it, if they have a setup of that system. However, I wouldn't try trading in any of your old games, it's a ripoff.

There are some that are self-contained in malls, and some in the Hollywood stores.

Kyle:D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys.
How do they compare to other used game shops? (Funcoland is the only other "national" chain I know of)
Do you get the sense they know their stuff? Aside from the "ripoff" values they give you on traded in games (which exists everywhere) are they gamers or fakers?

Just curious

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It seems to vary from location to location. Most of the Gamecrazy's I've been to have been staffed by idiots, but I did run into a decent employee at one of them and we chatted for a while. In general, I've found the service at Gamecrazy stores to be a couple notches below the already spotty service I've recieved at EB and Gamestop stores. However, they do seem to have prices that are a bit lower. They charge more reasonable rates on preowned games to begin with, and they don't keep 6 month old used PS2 games marked at $47.99 like I've seen at EB. They do mark up the older, rarer games sometimes. They do this to a greater degree than EB, but they aren't as bad about it as Gamestop. In general, I'd say most of my gaming dollars go to pawn shops for older games since I like the thrill of the hunt and I don't like paying market rates. For newer games, Ebay is usually the best if you're willing to run a stakeout on Buyitnow prices for about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks