What's new

Gak! Slap Shot 2 website/trailer now online. (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
"Run the goddamn siren! Let 'em know there's going to be blood in there!" --Reggie Dunlop
God, I love the original film. Wish they'd do a special edition DVD of it.
As for the sequel...couldn't pay me to see it.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
This has got to be going straight to video. How can there possibly be any market for a sequel to a 30 year old cult film? I just don't understand how some movies get made. At least they got the original Hanson brothers back. I love the original, but I will never watch this.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
Optimus Prime Films

bill lopez

Second Unit
SLAP SHOT came out in 1977, HALLOWEEN came out in 1978 and it's got a sequal coming out. So what's wrong with a SLAP SHOT sequal?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I agree. It just reeks of pointless opportunism to release a Slap Shot 2 at this point.
Oh well, at least they got some of the characters back from the first one.
But who's idea was it to make Stephen Baldwin the leading man? I say you're just asking for sniggers when you do something like that! :)
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

bill lopez

Second Unit
PSYCHO (1960) followed with PYSCHO 2 (1983).
KING KONG (1976) followed with KING KONG LIVES (1986).
EXCORSIT 2 (1977) followed with EXCORSIT 3(1990).
GODFATHER 2 (1974) followed with GODFATHER 3 (1990).
So it won't be the 1st time there has been a long time in between sequals.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Considering the PC climate of today, there is no way that this will stack up to the original. Having said that, there is no way that I will miss this. It looks chessy but what the hell, it will still have some laughs I'm sure. The Hanson brothers, C'mon, it will be a good time.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

GaryEA

Second Unit
Being a huge fan of the first film (I grew up on it, which explains a lot about me :)), I was weary as could be as the trailer loaded up.
Baldwin doesn't seem like the grizzled hockey type to me but I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out. The Hanson's are back, so there's a draw for me. I'm just looking for some laughs, and since my expectations are on the low side, I'll se what happens. The last shot of the trailer had me rolling so that's a good sign.
For years, I always considered choices on who could play the new leader of the Chiefs. No one's going to be a Paul Newman, so it's wasted energy to try to emulate or top him, My money has been on Denis Leary for years.
If they can't get a Slap Shot vehicle for him, somebody get him a hockey film. He'd be perfect for it, on and off the ice.
Gary

JustinS

Agent
PSYCHO (1960) followed with PYSCHO 2 (1983).
Not to mention The Hustler (1961) --> The Color of Money (1987).
I just picked up the DVD to Slap Shot a couple of months ago and viewed it again (first time in about 10 years). This is yet another example of a film that I enjoyed when I was younger but that has definitely not stood the test of time for me. Only the on-ice scenes with the Hanson brothers still made me smile. Nothing made me laugh at loud anymore. I just sold the disc yesterday.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
quote: PSYCHO (1960) followed with PYSCHO 2 (1983).
---
Not to mention The Hustler (1961) --> The Color of Money (1987).[/quote]
Sure, there may be precedent for longtime sequels. But, that doesn't it's a good thing. None of these sequels are considered very good by anyone. Can you name an example of a long delayed sequel that was any good?
The "Join the team" page says "Be the first to get the scoop on the DVD and Video release of Slap Shot 2." So, I think probably this is a straight to video release. That's another indication of its potential quality.
The original Slap Shot is a great flick. Hopefully, this one will at least have a few laughs.
[Edited last by Bill Buklis on November 02, 2001 at 04:55 PM]

Shawn C

Screenwriter
"Sean Linden (Stephen Baldwin) is the veteran coach of the Charlestown Chiefs, a minor league hockey team that has seen better days. The team is sold to Dean Claremont (Gary Busey), an owner of a new league in Omaha, Nebraska. To make matters worse, the new league is not really a league - the pay is good, but they will be playing a "Harlem Globetrotters" type hockey with the Chiefs as the stooges always losing to the clean-cut, pretty boys the IceBreakers. And, to add insult to injury, the Chiefs' new coach is a woman (Jessica Steen). It takes the return of the Hanson Brothers to get Linden and the Chiefs to rediscover their pride and passion for the game. Old time hockey is back!"
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, it does look like a Straight-To-Video movie... If you click on "Join the Team", you get this:
"Be the first to get the scoop on the DVD and Video release of Slap Shot 2. Sign up now to find out about cool giveaways, sneak-peeks at behind-the-scenes footage, and much, much more. "

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Ya know what, I just realized something....I wonder if this is why McFarlane came out with those Hansen Brothers action figures? I wonder if they were made up for a movie promotion, but the movie was going to be so bad, it never came out in the theaters and is just now making it to video? Anyone know when this was actually filmed?
Hmmm.I've got the whole set. I always wondered why he wanted to make action figures out of those guys

JustinS

Agent
No offense, but The Color of Money was a poor attempt at a sequel.
No offense Bill, but that is an opinion, and not one shared by very many people. While The Color of Money did get some mixed reviews and is certainly not ubiquitously adored, you may be the first person I have ever seen use the word "poor" to describe it.
For what it's worth, TCOM did receive four Academy Award nominations and one win. One of the nominations was for writing.
But then, you described the original Slap Shot as a "great flick" and I would not. Opinions vary. That's what they're good for.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
No offense Bill, but that is an opinion, and not one shared by very many people.
Absolutely I agree. Opinions do vary, which is why I included the "no offense".
I should probably clarify my earlier opinion. I admit I did not know about the academy nominations/win. I'm also surprised. I did not hate The Color of Money by any means. It was acceptable and quite watchable. On the other hand, I do not feel it measured up to The Hustler. But, movies should be based more on their own merit than how they measure up to originals. On that note, I'd probably give it 2 or 2 1/2 stars (it has been quite some time since I've seen it), which is not to say that it is bad, just average. Compared to the many other sequels it ranks fairly good.
As for Slap Shot. I did say it's a great flick. But, that probably needs to qualified as well. Slap Shot is a lot of fun, but it is definitely not in the same league as say Ben Hur. There are actually many things in Slap Shot I didn't like, particularly the dance thing at the end. Slap Shot was funny, but it is really not hockey.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks