What's new

Future formats of DVD movies-Doomed to Incompatiability? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Now is the best time to buy classic TV shows. When HD finally takes off, many of these shows will likely not be reissued in OAR again; they will be butchered to fit the 16:9 frame.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Jay: Now that my local grocery store rents dvd's, I can borrow the dvds for $.99 per night! I just watched Charlie's Angels w/ the kids and Were Were Soldiers by myself last night. The grand total, with tax, was $2.11. That's the main difference in my buying habits. A year ago my local Blockbuster didn't even carry dvds...today, they are all over the place!

My last few purchases were for movies that the kids may watch a few times: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman pre-order,etc. I'm now spending my cash on SACD's and DVD-A's...re-purchasing the Eagles & Billy Joel!!!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would say that in the next couple of years dvd recorders will come way down in price & then you will be able to copy your rented dvd's instead of buying them. That should fix greedy Hollywood & I'll bet GO-VIDEO has one in the works right now just like their VHS Decks that they have out now. Myself I'm not buying ANY DVD's unless it has some special feature on it. I learned my lesson buying The Twilight Zone on VHS.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Bill: Unfortunately, Macrovision is way ahead of us as dvds are copy protected. Unlicensed copying and HD copying is the stumbling block preventing the introduction of new technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks