What's new

Future formats of DVD movies-Doomed to Incompatiability? (1 Viewer)

Dylan

Agent
I'm concerned about the ever changing formats that are on the horizon for DVD movies (i.e the Blue laser DVD format being worked on now) and the impact the new players will have for watching current DVD's. Specifically, I am hesitant to pay $80 for a boxed season set of Star Trek or Buffy only to find out that the current DVD format will be incompatible with DVD players 10 years from now. What are your guy's views on this dilemma? Are we doomed to continuously re-purchase our DVD collections every ten years?

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I wouldn't sweat it ,with HOLLYWOODS new push towards copy protection for movies through pay-per-view only HD, I think that the revenue stream produced through this will make their quality of releases in a disc format drop-off considerably on purpose ......cable and satelite people would LOVE to kill the rental buis by being the only ones to have HD movies...HD discs are a myth, Hollywood will never release them when ,with the help of sat and cable, they can rent HD over and over again.....the only thing that may kill these plans is a SERIOUS consumer uprising in redisigning the home copy protection act....this however, seems unlikely do to the influence hollywood has with politicians............

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, they've already released HD movies. It's called DVHS D-Theater and you can buy it right now.

There will be HD-DVD, it's just a matter of time, and it's VERY easy to make the future decks backwards compatible. I am 99% certain that it will not be an issue

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Hey , I work in the industry and I know what's available now and I know that Hollywood OWNS the rights to their movies and as soon as they can make more money buy ppv-ing HD ONLY ,THEN D-VHS will faaaade away....this is another attempt at DIVX......In a memo from a paramount exec. when divx was starting he stated that as soon as divx got a running start , regular dvd discs would be put out low quality only or not at all so that they (hollywood) would recieve all the rental revenue stream...........

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, in what aspect of the industry do you work?

They may have a bunch of ideas as to how things will work, but in the end home video sell-through is a gold mine.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Even if a non-compatible format comes along, that doesn't mean you have to throw away a current format DVD player.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Jeff , I don't want to start a disagreement, but if Hollywood ,with the aid of sat/cable providers , could (when hd becomes more widespread) release Star Wars in 1080i (HEAVILY COPYGAURDED) for $3.99 ppv/video-on-demand and THEN also do 540i dvd's (about 6 months later) they would.....NOT MUCH DOWNSIDE.....AN OPINION I have (based on some info from friends)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
So it's an opinion from friends in the industry

Of course they would do it if they could. Here's the problem. They will make more money from doing BOTH than they will from just doing PPV. So they might put it on PPV 3-4 months before the DVDs, and THEN do it.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
If it's always available at twice the quality in "video-on-demand" then more money can be made that way (FOR HOLLYWOOD)....
I am in retail/custom instalation.....
will find out more at CEDIA AT THE END OF NEXT MONTH...
sorry about caps some are intentional others are because I suck as a typist:) :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I've spent the last 5 years in home video in some form or another, and always we'll see the MAXIMUM profit

VOD has not been popular so far, and I don't see it getting bigger later

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
If Hollywood thinks it will be able to get away with a PPV only format for HD content then they're in for a really big disappointment.

I'll spend the rest of my life watching "low quality" DVDs I own before I succumb to some scammy PPV system.

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
We are not the market.

anyway there is a lotta money in those DVD's. It is also a different market. People buy for different reasons than they rent and the studios are nothing if not cautious share holder driven institutions that will exploit every avenue for revenue increases.

They will HAVE to release HD DVD's... Why, because the studios, like us are not a monolithic group of one opinion, Fox, or MGM or New Line ETC will see room for competitive advantage and BOOM the floodgates will open. The amounts of money are staggering.

I think that Matt underestimates the cost to distribute a on demand HD ppv movie, do you really think that the studios have the ability to keep all the money for themselves?

J

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
(to try and bring the thread back to the original topic)
Dylan: Right now, the only people who have had to re-collect their software have been Laser Disk owners. And laser disk players are only hard-to-find.
I understand your concern, but when I think of it, here are the only formats I can recall that match the situation you are worried about:
- 8-track tapes
- Beta tapes
So these owners had to re-buy.
Since DVD is now considered cheaper/easier than tape, any new players that use the same format disk will have to be backwards-compatible or it will face a very tough market. So dont let this stop you from enjoying your shows.
And even if you spend $80 for the set, and you only watch the entire set annually, this works out to $8 per year - not a bad price to watch entire seasons of your favorite show whenever you want.
Or, make a hobby out of collecting sets used from eBay or other auction sites. This is a hobby after all and this includes shopping around and making the collecting part of the fun.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Remember, 3 years ago, Hollywood would NEVER give up their TV libraries because of the lucrative syndication Market

Now it's worth so much money we're getting hit shows like Malcom in the Middle BEFORE syndication

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Bob:

Right now, the only people who have had to re-collect their software have been Laser Disk owners
I'm not so sure about that! I've bought the same dvd twice on more than one occasion! First comes the initial release, then the special edition, then superbit, then director's cut, then dual layer, etc. etc! Some day they will be HD.

I initally purchased dvds like mad, thinking I was going to build a library. I'm sure I've purchased over 350. (Remember reel.com and 800.com's 3 for $1)In the past two years I've been selling them almost as fast. I figure I might as well get my money back while they are still worth something.

Today, dvd resales are $4-$6 cheaper than a year ago. I think it's because they are heavily discounted in stores like WalMart. I fear my remaining dvds are dropping in value daily!

I'd like to have a collection, but I also want to watch my favorite movies at their best. Why buy now when I know I'll want the next "greatest" release.

I imagine a day when I can have access to every movie made via satellite "on demand" in HD! There will be no need for discs or disc players! Plus, all of my music will be on a server somewhere, ready for me to program custom play lists. Possible???

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I can think of two reasons why I would buy a DVD. One reason is that I want to watch it, either immediately or in a few days or weeks when I'm in the mood. Most of the movies I buy on DVD fit in this category.

The second reason is so that "I'll always have it" and be able to rewatch it in the distant future. This is the reason why I'd buy some TV shows on DVD. For instance, I'd love to eventually get all of the Babylon 5 episodes on DVD because I consider it a one-of-a-kind classic TV show.

Neither of these reasons is affected by the future possibility of a higher-definition DVD replacement or some kind of pay-per-view scheme. So I buy DVD's whenever I feel like it (and can afford it).

On the other hand, I would never buy a DVD because I expect it to somehow be of equal or greater resale value in the future. On the gripping hand, I wouldn't necessarily buy another (and another and another) copy of a DVD I already own just because a "superbit" or "HD DVD" becomes available. Both of these reasons would seem doomed to frustration no matter what form future DVD replacements take, IMHO.

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link Michael,

The article confirmed what I have not been able to research myself. that, going forward, most movies will make more on the DVD release than on the original theatrical release.

Gary
Why buy now when I know I'll want the next "greatest" release.
Because, the the lost oportunity to enjoy the movie may be greater than the pain of waiting.

I spent a lot of my life worrying about "Thats how they get yah!" but now I just try to enjoy it.

I have VHS films I will never watch again, and I imagine when 30 years from now holographic movies are making their home debut, I may not watch the Matrix on the old format either.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks