What's new

Future Criterion TV-DVD Releases? (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Now that it has been announced that the cable series Tanner '88 is being released by Criterion (see TVShowsonDVD for more info), there could be some potential for future TV on DVD releases by this elite DVD company. This could be a great chance for some past critically acclaimed, but perhaps non-mass market shows to get releases. Which TV DVDs do you think Criterion should release?

Here are some that I think could fit:
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Frank's Place
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.(Hey,
Criterion makes some weird choices sometimes)
Twin Peaks Season 2

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Problem is, none of the above are exactly what you would call obscure. What I mean by this is that I cannot see studios being willing to lease the rights to these shows.

Also, if Fox etc dont believe they could make sufficient sales of shows like Hill St Blues for less than $60-80 per set, what sort of price would Criterion charge?

Whilst it would be nice for there to be a US version of "Network" I just dont see it happening.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends would be a cool and obscure choice, but I guess we'll never see more of it on dvd than what's on the "best of dvds" released in the UK.....

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator

If i remember correctly HSB and ST Elsewhere were big hits that both good runs; not exactly obscure and non-mass market.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Why would they have to be obscure shows? Because of licensing issues or something?

Here's some great obscure shows:

John Ridley and Sofia Coppola's "Platinum"
Ken Finkleman's "Foreign Objects"

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I want many but if one more than any belongs as a Criterion release it is:
[c]Johnny Staccato[/c]

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i thought i was going to read a thread about actual planned criterion tv-dvd releases, you may want to try using question marks in your thread titles.

CJ

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I think with Criterion the only TV-on-DVD release we are likely to get are shows like Tanner or Fishing With John (the other Criterion DVD release, according to TVSHowsOnDVD). Short lived shows that you can fit onto a couple of discs. That way, it fits in nicely with the rest of the range, and there's no issue about ongoing release (as you would have with some of the titles mentioned in this thread).

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, I think that The Edge would be a great canidate. The Edge is an obscure 1 season sketch comedy show from 1992 which in underrated cause no too many people remember this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks