What's new

Front Projector features? (1 Viewer)

John_Bla

Auditioning
Hi, I was wondering if you more-informed individuals could tell me which features should indeed be looked at when purchasing a front projector...
Hehe, that to the point enough for ya?
:)
Thanks!
John

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Type of projection (CRT, DILA, DLP, LCD)- each has it's pros/cons.

2) Resolution/Native Resolution/Max Sync rates. Especially if buying used-- have to make sure it will handle what you want to feed it (HDTV, PC, Scaled DVD, raw NTSC or PAL, whatever)

3) Brightness- will effect how much light control you need and how big you can get the screen before you run out of umph.

4) Contrast- especially an issue on digital projectors- the varation between Black and white is a big element in how good the picture will "look" to you.

5) Throw distances and tolerances- making sure that you can fit the projector's needs into your room design... or that it can/can't be within a range. Some projectors have zoom ability- meaning mounting distances can be "in the ballpark"- while others require exact mounting to the 1/8th of an inch to get proper picture.

6) Input connection types- how you can plug into the projector. Most modern ones have DB15 VGA input- which is usually your best bet- but that means you need to get a scaler or doubler to turn your NTSC on svideo material into 480p on VGA...

None of the above are "features" per se- rather specifications. FP will not have many "features" as it is a raw display device (IMHO the best way to go). It won't have picture in picture or even a tuner- it simply takes video feeds and outputs a picture... it expects you to do any tuning, routing, doubling, switching before you send the signal.

As a result, there are few "features"- and specifications become the key.

-V

John_Bla

Auditioning
Hi, thanks for your help with my situation regarding choosing a
projector. I have a couple more questions, and I'd be very grateful if you could possibly help me out once again: I'd certainly plan on getting a line doubler. I have a laserdisc player (from back in the day!), and also a dvd player that isn't progressive scan...so that would be a must. I'm wondering, though, what is IMHO...sorry, I don't know the abbreviations. It may be a company or it may mean something else -- I have no clue...hehe. ;)
Pretty much I'm looking to get [at least near] HDTV quality. I'm looking at this projector:
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...2&log=&NavTop=
If you could take a look at it for me, that would be wonderful.
Would the brightness be good enough to at least see a decent picture with some lights on? When watching a movie and really wanting to 'get into it', I'd certainly turn everything off, but watching occasional tv and whatnot with lights on would be a big plus.
It looks that it's 16x9, that would is certainly nice.
I'm wanting component in, but I'm non sure what EDTV format is...is that
your usual stuff?
Also, it says 1080l on under component video signal...was that just a typo
and is really 1080i? [or maybe my monitor is in too high a resolution and
I'm just not seeing it right. hehe!]
Do you see anything major or important that this projector seems to be lacking?
Thanks again for you help...this is quite a big purchase for me, and I want to be sure I'm getting something that'll last me in the long run!
Hope to hear from you soon!
John
PS - would this zoom allow me to get 'ballpark'?
Also, it doesn't say anything about ceiling mounting...I think there's a kit available for a newer model of the same series...how much do those run for?
THANK YOU!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Input connection types said:
Usually there are mounting kits available from the manufacturer- and if not, someone somewhere offers one that will work. Figure $150-$300 for a kit-- or plan to build one yourself (which has always been my approach).
-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks