What's new

Front projector cabling (1 Viewer)

BobR

Agent
Looking for some suggestions....
I have a typical setup with a RPTV and my components all in the front of the room. If I switch to a front projector how do I place this stuff in the room to facilitate the cabling? Do I move all my components to the back to be near the projector and run long speaker wires to the front? Do I put the components along the side wall and split the difference? I would assume the cabling between components should be kept short if possible. I'm sure everybody who has gone to front projection must have addressed this. What did you do?

Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Minimize the video runs as much as possible.

And get good cables from bluejeans, heartland, etc etc

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, this thead sgould provide you with various answers. I have had my component rack at the back of the room in my previous setup. Personally, I prefer the rack at the front where I can see what is happening in the component displays without having to turn around. IR repeaters would help as far as being able to point the remote forward and still have proper control of the components. Still, ergonomically, I like the rack at the front.

As for the cable runs, component will have no problem at all for 40' (or even longer) runs. For the s-video run, you will have to be more conscious of the cable quality for an equal run length.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Neil,

>As for the cable runs, component will have no problem at all for 40' (or even longer) runs. For the s-video run, you will have to be more conscious of the cable quality for an equal run length.<

I am setting up a new HT with a front projector. MY guess is I will go with the new Panasonic in the end. What cables should I run? I would rather not run a bunch for video. Can I get away with just a DVI cable? What is the best source for this cable?

Thanks Bob

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm pondering the same questions. While I agree with Neil that being able to see the components up front is nice, I think it would be pretty cool to have the components closer to my seating position. I'll probably opt with setting the components on the side, splitting the difference between front and back in half.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Bob_M

You can't run just a dvi cable. at a minimum, you will probably want an svideo cable so that you can watch sdtv on the projector.

Plus, you will probably only have one dvi input, which means you will need a dvi switch. A component video switch is much easier to handle (and cheaper).

Finally, I believe long runs of dvi are expensive. You can make a set of 30' home-made, high quality component cables for $25.

I personally think dvi is overhyped, and component cables are usually a better solution, especially for front projection.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mark

>probably want an svideo cable so that you can watch sdtv on the projector.<
Right, but what if you have standard cable, does that mean you should run RCA too or do most of the new VCR's have Svideo out for RF input?

>You can make a set of 30' home-made, high quality component cables for $25.<
And links that show you how to do that?

Thanks

Bob

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Here is link that shows the crimping approach, with pictures

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

That approach is really overkill. I used twist-on f connectors (what you find for cable tv connection), RCA to f adaptors, a stripper and RG6 cable all at Home Depot. You can also get everything at radio shack.

As far as svideo, most cable and satellite boxes have svideo out. I don't know about vcrs because I don't have one hooked up to the projector, and haven't bought a vcr in 5+ years.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark,

I did not realize RG6 would work. That is easy and I have a spool of it at home. :)

What about S-Video, can you make this as well?

Bob

Bob

mark alan

Supporting Actor
you can make an svideo cable (radio shack has the cable and connectors), but it is kind of a pain. You have to solder 4 very small wires to 4 very small connectors, all located within a few millimeters of each other. I did it because I couldn't wait a week for a mail order cable in order to set up my projector.

you can buy a 25-30' svideo cable online fairly cheap, but I don't know about quality. Mine was a pain to make, but has worked really well;) .

I also have a cheap solution for component switchers if you need one (most people do).

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Go get the radio shack Audio video switch for $20. It is for composite video and left/right stereo connections, but it is a mechanical switch with an apparently unlimited bandwidth. Just plug your three component lines into the video and audio RCA connections on the switcher. Supposedly, you should put the Y (green) cable into the video connection, since the Y line carries the full horizontal resolution, and has a higher bandwidth requirement.

I use this for both dvd and high definition and there is NO degradation when compared to a straight component connection. Just don't get the switch with the electronic switching. It does not work.

you can see the switch

here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks