Frequency Settings for the EQ

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisClearman, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Posted this on the Speaker/Subwoofer forum but maybe it belongs here

My Thread

So my Sony STR-DB930's equalizer for the front bass goes from 100Hz to 1KHz.

Now, is this setting a MIN, MAX, or centering Frequency?

I am feeding it a constant test tone signal (say 60 Hz or 150 Hz) and it doesn't seem to change no matter if I move the EQ setting from 100 Hz to 1KHz.

My speakers are rated to 42 Hz +- 3 Hz, but they are barely breathing at 49 Hz (I can kinda hear them still at ~47).

Changing the EQ settings seems to have zero effect on the sounds coming out of my speakers.

Thoughts?

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chris by moving the frequency up or down won't make a bit of difference in the sound if the db settings are all the same. all you would need the eq for is if you are looking to boost a certain freq. or to turn down a certain freq. Say you wanted to give a +3db boost at 100hz, well then you would move the eq up +3 at the 100hz setting. most people here just turn off the eq on there receivers and listen using the bypass setting. which gives you the sound the way the director intended, without being bloated or flat. How this helps [​IMG]

3. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Ok, that makes sense. I don't really understand the way sony has the EQ layed out though....I don't even use the EQ, but I was playing around w/ test tones and reading through my manual.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I own a DB930. I'm glad to hear that someone else in the world actually owns one. It seems like there are so few around.

The equalizer is a basic 3 band. It's just that in this case, Sony lets you vary just where the bands occur. It seems a little misleading cause it's not really documented in the manual anywhere and you find the EQ and you think "wow! I can adjust all these frequencies really finely!" But it doesn't take long to realize that something is really bizzaar with it.

As far as whether or not to use the EQ, it's probably better if you can leave it alone. The problem with that is I've found the amps in this unit (even the front 3 that are supposedly ES amps) do not deliver a real clean sound all the way across the spectrum. Depending on your speakers, you may notice some dropout in the midrange and upper bass. Especially around where male dialog falls. Tweaking the EQ may help force a little more power into those frequencies if you experience this problem.