Francois Ozon’s ‘Sous Le Sable’ (Under The Sand)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin Pereyra, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Just wondering what everyone else here thought about this film.

I found it to be a very good film about grief and denial. Charlotte Rampling (Marie) gives a very good performance as a wife trying to cope with a family tragedy (without giving any of the plot away).

I particularly liked the way the ending was handled.

It doesn’t give finality to Marie’s predicament. Just when you think that there would be closure, Francois Ozon throws a curve ball of an ending consistent Marie’s character throughout the entire film.

~Edwin

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Glad you caught this one Edwin. I more or less raved about it back in August when I saw it. Terribly depressing in many ways, but it provides the uplift of seeing a good movie. Rampling won't be nominated by the Academy, but I certainly think her performance is worthy.

I really liked how her character's actions are mirrored throughout the film, how she continues to behave as she always has. She is stuck in Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' first stage of grief, and just when you think she will move forward, she doesn't. It's a really powerful film.

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

4. Scott_Lecter

Scott_Lecter Auditioning

The more and more I watch this film, the more it reminds me of L'Avventura. Nevertheless, a great film...

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I thought it was excellent as well. I've become a fan of Ozon's and he's on my "see anything with his name attached list". But this was from 2000. I know it's been 2 years or more since I saw it.

I loved his musical, 8 Women, was a bit more mixed on the more recent, Swimming Pool. He had a movie come out last year, but I don't think it's been distributed in the US yet. He's still relatively young, only 37, though he's been making movies for 15 years.