What's new

Fox's John Ford Films (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The only titles that I specified in my Fonda conversation were Drums Along the Mohawk and Jesse James. However, if Fox is going to release several of Fonda's films then Young Mr. Lincoln has to be one of them and you would think Warlock with three major stars like Fonda, Anthony Quinn and Richard Widmark would be among them.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Derek,
Here is another interesting post taken from that same thread. If I was you, I would read the whole thread.

Crawdaddy

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Thank You Robert, That thread did answer my quetion. I hope that Paramount is able to release those Republic films in the future, I am always impressed with the quality of their releases.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Two Fox Ford films with Will Rogers, STEAMBOAT ROUND THE BEND and JUDGE PRIEST have just been released in R2.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Steamboat Round The Bend has been released by Optimum, the same company responsible for the UK R2 releases of Drums Along The Mohawk and Young Mr Lincoln. I can't comment personally on quality because I'm holding off for what I think will be Criterion releases of all three (just a guess).

I do however own Judge Priest, which has been out as a PD title for some time now - the transfer is absolutely, irretrievably, positvely AWFUL. It makes The Quiet Man looks like Citizen Kane.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding 7 Women I was just able to watch it on VHS. I was not aware it was an MGM-Turner title, or I would have included it in my wish list for Warners. The copy I watched was Widescreen, and included the trailer, and a vintage making-of featurette at the end of the film. I am glad to see these things exist. I don't know if this film has ever been popular in the US, but apparently it was successful abroad. I highly recommend this film to anyone who can find it!

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I would also love Fox to release Wee Willie Winkie, with the original color tinting. This may be a good selection for the Studio Classics line. Shirley Temple was one of the biggest stars Fox ever had, and Ford is maybe the best director they ever had. Shirley has claimed this film to be her favorite, she could make a cool commentary.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi ya fellow HTF'ers

I bought the German R2 of She Wore A Yellow Ribbon SE which was truly a treasure as it included an interview with John Ford from the BBC Archives.

A must really.

Great news about the Critterion dvds

Cheers

Oscar

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
From Barrie Maxwell This isn't much, but this is the newest Ford announcement I have heard. I wonder if The Hurricane will be released as well?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Chances are your VHS copy is exactly the same or it has a whole different set of problems. :frowning: Noone has yet to get this title even close to right on home video. There are sharp transfers with no color and very colorful transfers with horrible registration issues. For a film which won an Oscar for color cinematography, that does not have any documented significant issues with available early generation materials, and that has been re-released this often between VHS, laserdisc, and DVD, this is pathetic, indeed.

Regards,

FrankXS

Second Unit
Let us see, Fox has announced an R2 set for February/March to include Warlock and Young Mr. Lincoln.... Criterion is supposed to be putting together John Ford's Drums Along the Mohawk and Young Mr. Lincoln.... Warner is working on a Ford/Wayne package w/Stagecoach and The Searchers maybe She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache....other threads and dvd websites have talked about The Informer/Lost Patrol/Mogambo/Wee Willie Winkle/Mary Scotland/Long Voyage Home/Steamboat Round the Bend/Judge Priest !!!!!

How realistic are all these titles ? I agree that Mr. Ford hasn't been given a fair representation in the dvd world so far but what can we do to speed up some of these titles ? Petitions to Fox and Warner ??????

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's not from Fox, that will be from Optimum in the UK, BTW a company called Opening is producing a Ford box in France with The Prisoner Of Shark Island, Young Mr. Lincoln and Drums Along The Mohawk (the latter already released in the UK)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi John

Thanks for the info about the Optimum Ford discs.

Do you know if there are any specila features or will it be plain vanilla discs ?

Cheers

Oscar

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No extras listed on the UK releases Oscar, but the French discs do have extras, albeit in French (as you would expect...)

I'm pretty confident they'll turn up in R1 soon enough - with extras - so I'm going to hold off until them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks