What's new

Fox Studio Classics and Film Noir 2005 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That is only speculation (albeit a logical conclusion) based on the trailers listed at the DVD Times website.

The fact that it is a logical conclusion probably means that it won't be released in the next wave. :)

Regarding Herb's excellent points above, it just gets back to the fact that it appears that Fox lacks a knowlegable champion of their classic catalog within their ranks. Someone who could size up their noir library and devise a release schedule that maximize their potential. One recalls that when The Innocents was brought up in a HTF chat several years ago that Fox was unaware of this title. How can you release something if you don't own it. (Fortunately in this case, Fox listened to consumers and now has a DVD on the way.)

Fox should also look into how they promote their classic films. One of the things that George Feltenstein does so well at Warners is increase awareness and interest in his product by being fairly accessible to various media outlets. Even though he doesn't necessarily go into detailed specifics, he gives folks a flavor of what's in the pipeline which leads to discussion on message boards like this one.

In my opinion, the fact that discussion of Fox's Noir DVDs often revolves around confusion about who's releasing what and when is not a good thing. I would think Fox would want people talking only about the great job they're doing with these DVDs and not focusing on negative items. Perhaps Fox should look into contacting USA Today or Randy Salas, etc. and eliminate some of the confusion we have about what their plans are.

Steve

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 'Guess What Fox is Bringing Out Next' game continues. From Barrie Maxwell's latest Bits column:

Fox's third film noir wave will appear on September 6th: House on 92nd Street (1945), Somewhere in the Night (1946), and Whirlpool (1949). This continues to leave Kiss of Death (1947) in limbo. Anchor Bay has now indicated (thanks to a reader who received a message from the company) that the title is not in its plans but would come from Fox itself eventually. Kiss of Death now becomes a candidate for the December Fox film noir wave along with such other possibilities as The Dark Corner, Where the Sidewalk Ends, the oft-mentioned Laird Cregar films (Hangover Square, The Lodger), and even No Way Out [1950] (although the latter has also been touted as a Studio Classics release, where it would more correctly be placed).

So, what about Road House which Amazon still lists as a coming Anchor Bay title..?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by the Sept line-up

Mildly interested in Somewhere in the Night & Whirlpool, though I doubt if I go the blind-buy route this time. Have zero interest in House on 92nd Street which I thought was as bland as melba toast.

All of this confusion over at Fox would be amusing if I didn't want Kiss of Death so badly. It's really starting to piss me off now. Needless to say I hope it makes the Dec line-up though I won't hold my breath.

Really interested in seeing Where the Sidewalk Ends, Hangover Square & The Lodger, so hopefully these will make it out later this year.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I'm very pleased to hear Fox will be releasing Kiss of Death themselves and will be blind-buying the September releases. So far, this has been a great series from Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks