What's new

FOX: Star Wars:EP1-TPM Captioned/Subtitles Throughout! (Thanks) (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that I might be premature in reading this as some type of policy shift on Fox's part, but no matter. I just stopped viewing this disc and I'm tickled pink. Even the TV Spots and Trailers were Closed Captioned and English Subtitled. Documentaries, Featurettes. Everything. I'd seen no mention of this in the reviews.
I don't know who was responsible for this decision (Fox or LucasFilm), but I sure do applaud it. There are other threads commenting on the general production values of the disc itself (which is great), but I felt a separate thread needed to be created for this particular thanks.
Hopefully we'll see this in other Fox releases -- at least the A-title ones if not all.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I wholeheartedly agree with the praise. Why would you subtitle or caption the film for the hard of hearing, and then prevent them from accessing the rest of the content? I'm not hard of hearing, but I'll watch DVDs with the subtitles/closed captioning on if it is late and I don't want to make too much noise.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
OH yea THANKS SO MUCH FOX FOR LISTENING!!!
I've been pushing for this in the chats... and i'm so happy that Fox finally listened... I had noticed that Fox had started putting the words on the box to the effect that only the feature presentation was captioned... and I noted that the EP1 dvd box said SOME feature presentations
As far as I'm concerned the dvd is only lacking one thing... the accompanying subtitle track for the Commentary audio track.
But hey... you've come a long way babe!!
I literally had tears in my eyes from my joy at being able to watch deleted scenes feature & the making of Episode 1 feature both of which I thought were wonderful...
I decided to save the rest of the features for later... savoring my special treat... a dvd that is 90% accessible to me that includes many features.
Fox, I hope you decide to make this the standard for all your future releases because I think you do great work and I hope to be able to enjoy it to its fullest as I have Ep1.
Megalion

Ed_M

Auditioning
The TPM DVD's extras are closed captioned? Wow, I didn't know that! That is fantastic! I'm a supporter of closed captions (I'm hearing impaired, so you can see why
wink.gif
)
ALL extras on ALL DVDs should be closed captioned.
My only gripe with them is the text colour is just white. I prefer having different coloured text for each character in a scene, that way it makes it easier to distinguish who is saying what.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to post a suggestion...
Was reading up about the Episode 1 disc... and learned that there was a subtitle track for the commentary...
but it was used not to "caption" the commentary but only to identify the speaker.... which in itself is an excellent idea but I don't understand why after going all the way with the rest of the disc, Fox/LucasFilms didn't pick up on this perfect opportunity to put the proper subtitles in as well?
I don't see any reason why they couldn't have used the same track for it as the subtitle track is nothing more than a transparent image over the video right? Put the identifiers at the top and the subtitles at the bottom... and everyone's happy.
I still think Fox deserves kudos for a 90% accessible FEATURE FILLED 2 disc set.
I don't think any other disc has come close to this point yet. (I'm talkng in terms of only releases with a large number of extras)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks