What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“Magnificent, thorough and beautifully appreciative”

- The Washington Post

“A warm blast of musical nostalgia shines a deserving spotlight on the group’s artistry.”

- The Hollywood Reporter

THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED HBO DOCUMENTARY

Bee Gees Broken Heart BD Boxart.JPEG

THE BEE GEES:

HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART

COMES TO BLU-RAYTM AND DVD NOVEMBER 16th, 2021FROM WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

BURBANK, CA (September 21, 2021) – Amassing over 5.5 million viewers to-date, the Emmy® Award-winning The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is one of HBO’s most watched documentaries. Now, relive the past through a whole new lens as fans of all generations can get to know the iconic trio like never before as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases the original documentary on DVD November 16, 2021 for $19.98 SRP ($24.99 in Canada). The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is available now to stream on HBO Max and to own on Digital via purchase from digital retailers.

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart will also be available on Blu-ray courtesy of Warner Archive Collection. The Blu-ray release includes all bonus features on the DVD and is also arriving November 16, 2021. Warner Archive Blu-ray releases are found at wb.com/warnerarchive and your favorite online retailer.

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, directed by acclaimed filmmaker Frank Marshall (“Arachnophobia," "Eight Below") chronicles the triumphs and hurdles of brothers Barry, Maurice and Robin Gibb, otherwise known as the Bee Gees. The filmwas an official selection of the 2020 Telluride Film Festival. Frank Marshall also produces alongside Nigel Sinclair and Jeanne Elfant Festa, part of the award-winning team behind HBO’s “The Apollo” and “George Harrison: Living in the Material World,” and Mark Monroe. The film is a Polygram Entertainment presentation of a Kennedy/Marshall and White Horse Pictures production in association with Diamond Docs.

The Bee Gees, who found early fame in the 1960s, went on to write over 1,000 songs, including twenty #1 hits throughout their storied career. The film follows the iconic trio’s meteoric rise as they rode the highs of fame and fortune, negotiated the vagaries of the ever-shifting music business and navigated the complexities of working so intimately alongside family.

The critically acclaimed documentary is an intimate exploration of the Gibb story, featuring revealing interviews with oldest brother Barry and archival interviews with the late twin brothers Robin and Maurice. The film features a wealth of never-before-seen archival footage of recording sessions, concert performances, television appearances and home videos, as well as interviews with musicians Eric Clapton, Noel Gallagher, Nick Jonas, Chris Martin, Justin Timberlake, music producer Mark Ronson, singer Lulu, record company executive Bill Oakes, among others.

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart: Polygram Entertainment presents a Kennedy/Marshall Company and White Horse Pictures production in association with Diamond Docs. Director of photography, Michael Dwyer; supervising producer, Aly Parker; executive producers, David Blackman, Jody Gerson, Steve Barnett, Nicholas Ferrall, Cassidy Hartmann, Ryan Suffern; written by Mark Monroe; edited by, Derek Boonstra and Robert A. Martinez; produced by Nigel Sinclair, Jeanne Elfant Festa, Mark Monroe and Frank Marshall; directed by Frank Marshall.

BLU-RAY AND DVD FEATURES

• Deleted Scenes

DIGITAL

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is available to own on Digital. Digital purchase allows consumers to instantly stream and download all episodes to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital movies and TV shows are available from various digital retailers including Amazon Video, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu and others.

BASICS

Street Date: November 16, 2021

BD and DVD Presented in 16x9 widescreen format

Run Time: 111 Minutes

DVD

Price: $19.98 SRP US / $24.99 SRP Canada

1-Disc (1 DVD-9)

DVD Audio: English

DVD Subtitles: English

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has to be sad for Barry to be the oldest brother and the last surviving one of four brothers.

Incredibly...

...and you get that very sense when watching this phenomenal documentary. In fact, his last words in this doc sum up those feelings.

If you are remotely a Bee Gees fan, this is a terrific watch. It was on HBO MAX. Not sure if it still is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Incredibly...

...and you get that very sense when watching this phenomenal documentary. In fact, his last words in this doc sum up those feelings.

If you are remotely a Bee Gees fan, this is a terrific watch. It was on HBO MAX. Not sure if it still is.
You're right, it's an excellent documentary. I was always a big Bee Gees fan and immensely enjoyed their music.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The blu-ray was released in the UK in December last year - I really enjoyed hearing a lot of their early output on the soundtrack. What most people don't realise is the incredible longevity of the Bee Gees' career - all the way back to 1965 - and the many different musical phases they had. They actually released a staggering 15 albums BEFORE they went stratospheric with Saturday Night Fever. Very few other bands and songwriters can match them.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, a fantastic doc. They were huge in the sixties in the UK, not far behind The Beatles, then they acrimoniously broke up, & then did the almost impossible, had a second bite of the cherry. They were even bigger in the seventies (& beyond). One thing I didn't know was that Barry & Robin just didn't get on (you sometimes get that with brothers) & Maurice was the peace keeper that kept things on an even keel (Maurice comes over very well in the doc), so after Maurice died, the other two found it very hard to work together, & I read in an interview with Barry a few weeks ago that he & Robin weren't on speaking terms when Robin died.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yup, a fantastic doc. They were huge in the sixties in the UK, not far behind The Beatles, then they acrimoniously broke up, & then did the almost impossible, had a second bite of the cherry. They were even bigger in the seventies (& beyond). One thing I didn't know was that Barry & Robin just didn't get on (you sometimes get that with brothers) & Maurice was the peace keeper that kept things on an even keel (Maurice comes over very well in the doc), so after Maurice died, the other two found it very hard to work together, & I read in an interview with Barry a few weeks ago that he & Robin weren't on speaking terms when Robin died.

That is exactly my experience with The Bee Gees.

I first became aware of them in 74/75 when JIVE TALKIN' was released.

Fell in love with their music through the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER years.

It was only later when they released their anthology album that I realized they had a huge career in the 60s.

And the documentary reveals the division between the brothers, and it's sad that Robin and Barry were not on speaking terms when Robin died.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hell, you get that with sisters or brother and sister or whatever family combination you want to use. Family relationships are very complicated and run very deep. There's that old saying in which you can love somebody, but that doesn't mean you like them as a person. That applies to many families in some form or another. Sbling relationships are interesting because many times they can be the longest personal relationship a person has with another human being.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm waiting on somebody doing a movie or book about the de Havilland sisters, Olivia and Joan. Talk about an interesting and complex relationship between the two great actresses that were sisters only 15 months difference in ages.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It has to be sad for Barry to be the oldest brother and the last surviving one of four brothers.

The Bee Gees gave me, and continue to give me, so much pleasure that I wish I could pay a little of it back (well, I have, by purchasing every single one of their band and solo albums). It's fun to watch the musical progression from their infancy to their final couple of albums, although their slide into disco in the mid-70's did not appeal to me. I loved their album "Mr. Natural," although it did ot sell well in 1974, but their very next album was "Main Course," which was a 180-degree turnaround toward disco, followed shortly by the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER phenominon, which went the rest of the way in that direction and sent their popularity into the stratosphere. But they gradually returned to their lush, melodic music in the early 80's, while continuing to punctuate each album with up-tempo music that tied them back to the late 70's style.

I can't imagine the utter and continuing heartbreak that Barry must endure, watching each of his siblings go before their time (I can identify with this), and has recently released his third solo album, "Greenfields," which is a series of duets re-interpreting popular songs from the band's catalog. His voice, not unexpectedly, is not as strong, but it's a damn sight better than those of most 74-year-olds. He still hits the notes, and his signature falsetto remains intact.

What a great legacy these guys left for us to remember our own pasts by -- our school years, dating, old AM radio, walkman radios and handmade tape mixes to play on them, all of it.

Thanks, Barry, and thanks to your brothers, all of whom will be remembered with great fondness for many generations to come.

---Rick (a greatful forever fan).

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe this should be posted in Music, but what are your favorite Bee Gees tracks? Mine (most are album tracks; very few were hit singles):

A Tint Of Blue (1966) (from their first album)
Turn Of the Century; Please Read Me (1967) (from their first U.S. album)
Massachussetts; Let There Be Love, Kitty Can (1968)
Odessa; Suddenly; Lamplight (1969)
I.O. I.O; Then You Left Me (1970)
Portrait Of Louise (1970)
It's Just the Way; Walking Back To Waterloo (1971)
Sea Of Smiling Faces (1972)
South Dakota Morning (1973)
Throw A Penny; I Can't Let You Go (1974)
Nights On Broadway (1975)
---A little gap here due to primarily disco music being released
Tragedy; Love You Inside Out; Spirits Having Flown (1979)
Living Eyes; He's A Liar (1981)
---Another gap, due to no Bee Gees studio albums released from 1982-1986)
Overnight (1987)
The Only Love (1991)
Fallen Angel (1993)
Sacred Trust (2001) (from their final album)

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sad that the nation and the world turned their backs on them for a few years due to the "DISCO" label, they wisely stepped back for a bit supplied hits to other stars and then rebuilt their legacy - LOVE Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's take on their Islands In The Stream pure POP heaven! Hope Barry through his family and his fans can find tons of love and happiness and enjoy his and his brothers place in the history of music. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DBE8CB1537DE7D1938E6DBE8CB1537D&FORM=VIRE0&ru

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks