What's new

Fox: Plays a "Disney Blast" on Mac users with "web verify" on Episode I Content (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Although you have made great strides since the Die Hard and DIVX fiascos, you just took a big step backwards today.
You have effectively disabled Mac users from viewing special edition content. There is no technical merit to this decision at all. In fact, most of the video content used was in fact created on Macs and distributed by Apple, Inc.
Yet, now you have decided to verify that a user is in fact using the "Interactual Marketing Machine" before allowing a user to view the content.
Please immediately cease the "web verify" procedure and enable us to view the content we paid for with the purchase of Star Wars: Episode I
At least Disney could claim minor incompatibilities, you however cannot.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Gotta agree with Joseph here. I don't have a DVD-ROM drive for my Mac, but you're giving me precious little incentive to get one.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a DVD-ROM drive for my Mac, but you're giving me precious little incentive to get one.
The sad thing is there is no technical reason for this block other than to grab marketing info from the interactual player.
All the content is HTML and Quicktime based. The Quicktime content was originally served freely by Apple. This is a marketing scam at it's worst. We don't need the interactual player we just need to quit getting blocked at dvd.starwars.com.
There is a PC Friendly player for the mac available with Tarzan and other discs, but not the "new and improved" Microsoftesque style/personal info grabbing browser "Interactual Player 2."

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
As a long time Mac user, I was disappointed when I discovered that I could not access exclusive content on the Phantom Menace DVD.
And because of Lucasfilm's stringent copyright restrictions, none of the fan sites are allowed to even post pictures of the content that I paid for.
Please rectify this situation at once so that ALL DVD-ROM owners who purchased Phantom Menace can access all of the content that we paid to see.
[Edited last by Tim Gerdes on October 17, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks