Fox-Lorber's Best Disc ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I recently watched and reviewed Panahi's The Circle. It is a pretty fine disc, especially by Fox/Lorber standards... I have reviewed it and the film with screen captures. You can ACCESS IT HERE.
    It deals with the oppression of women in Iran... in a starkly realistic way... almost documentary-like....
    This director also did The Mirror and The White Balloon...
    Anyway, I own all the Rohmers etc. mounting to about 60+ Fox Lorber (Winstar) DVD titles in total and with the inclusion of the 21 minute Panahi interview on this one I would say this may be the best I have seen ( poor old memory ).. anyone jog my memory for any better F/L efforts into DVD?
    Cheers,

2. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

This is wonderful to hear. A terrific film and one which I've been meaning to pick up.

Breaker Morant is also a pretty good FL disc from memory.

3. Todd Cobler

Todd Cobler Auditioning

The Fox Lorber/Winstar discs for Leox Carax's films (BOY MEETS GIRL, MAUVAIS SANG, and POLA X) all have lovely transfers and brief interviews with their rather unforthcoming auteur. POLA X also features an interesting, if laidback commentary track with actor Guilliame Depardieu.

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

The My Life to Live disc looks great. They reused the gorgeous Criterion LD transfer and since it was 1.33:1 the lack of anamorphic enhancement doesn't matter much. Too bad none of their other Godard titles are up to the same level.