What's new

FOX: "Hello Dolly" (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
No, but I sure hope it is being worked on.
And I hope for the original Todd AO print which evidently has the Todd AO credit at the point in the credits where the train bell is clanging.
Most of the other video versions, even the laser disc, didn't look so great to me.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Region's 2 & 4 got a faded, ugly looking, bare bones DVD release of Dolly a couple of months ago.
Let's Pray that the region 1 release does not use the same transfer.

Hopefully the delay means that Fox is taking time to do it properly for region 1.

There are lot's of extras available at Fox, such as screen tests, etc. Let's hope they are included, along with a top notch transfer. The movie certainly deserves it.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'll say...HELLO DOLLY was the last word in over the top production values for a musical; it cost $25 million in 1969 and would probably cost $150 million nowadays, a bargain ONLY because CGI effects would now be used in replicating 1890 Manhattan. Of course in '69 they simply built the whole thing. Then again, Scorcese has recently done that for GANGS OF NEW YORK, and he could do it because it ISN'T a musical. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do I get the feeling that this dvd will be released during the first quarter of 2003?:)
Crawdaddy

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
If it's not expected now until early next year then that gives them plenty of time to get it right.

It would make a great Special Edition, how about it FOX?
A 2 disc Dolly ("Wonderful Woman!")

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'll bite.

What exactly is the All That Jazz promotion and what has it got to do with Hello Dolly?

And since people sometimes misunderstand posts, I'm not expressing doubt about the info, just asking for details.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's called theme release strategy in which some studios like Paramount and Fox releasing films at the same time from the same genre. First quarter of 2003, is looking mighty good.

Crawdaddy

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Bill, these posts aren't so encouraging. These titles were first mentioned three years ago, so don't expect them early 2003 just yet.

Also, what's the logic behind theme releasing? FOX releases 10 (?) war films on DVD all at once. Who is going to buy all 10 for over $200 dollors when they're first released? Why not release a few each month? I would guess consumers would buy one or two title per month at around $40, then pluck down $200 after a year long drought of War titles. Yeah Fox, have a War Theme promotion, just have it last a year and release 2 titles per month.

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Also, what's the logic behind theme releasing?
It makes sense from a marketing and advertising standpoint. You ready your multiple "themed" releases all at one time and then spend all your advertising and promotion dollars at one time around a number of releases instead of just 1 or 2.

More advertising and exposure bang for their buck.

Regards,
Lee

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Lee, I wouldn't expect FOX to spend to much on catalog title promotions. Most major new film releases already have their home video marketing advertising tied into the Theatrical film release, which is why most titles arrive for retail within six months of their theatrical release.

Crawdaddy - Glad you are looking forward to 2003, but this is 2002, uh, let's live in the present, we could all be dead by 2003.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Thanks for the info. One last question. Is this inside info, or is there somewhere I can read about it in more detail?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
It's called theme release strategy...
The only strategy I'm interested in is the "How Am I Going To Pay For It" strategy...cause my wishlist is up to 68 titles, this one included.

Hello Dolly, goodbye cash!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
A FOX MUSICALS THEME!!

Early 2003- WOW!!

Hope we get some of the older CLASSICS.

Grable, Faye, Ameche, Hayworth, Temple.

Remastered Rodgers and Hammerstein

Dolly, Star, Jazz, Long legs, Best things in life & Can Can,

Bring 'em on!! My Cash ( or Credit Card) is ready !!

The Player's tray is open and ready to go.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Keep dreaming Doug. "All That Jazz," "The Rose" and "Dolly" will most likely be the bulk of it. Fox isn't big on musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks