What's new

Fox Announces Fall 2004 HD Schedule (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Found this over at the AVS Forum, posted by a Fox Television engineer:

According to the source, Fox's 720p HD begins September 12, 2004. It is unknown whether they will be airing shows (not games and events) in DD5.1, but I wouldn't count on it. Some of these shows are new, some are being renewed, and some are tentatively on the schedule, namely Arrested Development and Tru Calling, pending ratings and/or the mercy (or lack thereof) of Gail Berman. Here's to hoping AD survives...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's good to see that they are announcing an HD feed of AD, because that tells me that it's on the fall slate.

Eric F

Screenwriter
What's wrong with 720p? Many (myself included) prefer it over 1080i.

If you could display 720p natively I bet you would see things differently.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think Alias looks like ass in 720p, but I think that has more to do with the show itself since The Practice and Karen Sisco looked great in the same resolution.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

Maybe. The Fox station engineer who posted the info on the AVS forum stated the list was tentative as of this week. IOW, if AD is picked up for renewal it will be in HD this Fall. Like you, I hope that happens.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

720p looks better than 1080i for sports and video, and pretty damned good for movies when done right.

In between ABC, ESPN, and FOX, 720p is far from dead and I am glad.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So now we need to start seeing more and more 1080p resolution sets besides those costing 30 or more thousand dollars. 720p would look still great upconverted, 1080i wouldn't have as many visible interlace artifacts and seem a bit smoother, and 1080p HD discs would look absolutely FABULOUS.

Dan

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Well parts of the show (or the star) certainly do, there tends to be more of that on Las Vegas, though...

I assume that's what you meant?

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
That's exactly right. I have a front projector w/a native 720p display rate & hi-def from ABC-HD & ESPN-HD look noticeably better than 1080i material. Hardly any jaggies, stairstepping & other interlaced artifacts (especially any scene w/motion). Until we get 1080p, going interlaced is a step back especially after we've gotten used to 480p w/DVD players & 720p for those of us who have 720p-native displays.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

Am I missing something? Fox usually only has at most 2 Sunday games (1:00est and 4:00est). When will the 6 games be shown.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
FOX changes the two games according to regional markets. For instance, unless the Giants and Jets are not playing on Sunday, it's always a Jet game and a Giant game on Sundays (Giant games almost always on FOX). But in the DC area, for instance, you'd get a Redskins and a Ravens game with the Redskins game usually on FOX.

BTW, FOX will be showing 13 Giants games in hi-def and if you throw in the Monday Nighter, almost 90% of the Giants games will be in hi-def.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Thanks Hanson.
Since my set is native 720p I'll really get to see the clarity of Eli Manning's bruises as he gets pummeled weekly by opposing linebackers.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

He's assuming that since NY is such a large market that they will always be in HD

Fox has said they have enough trucks and transponder space for six games a week. Some of the weeks they only show six games; so everything going out will be HD. However some weeks they get seven games so someone will loose. The one that will loose will be based on a lot of vaiables: record, rivalry, teams play and their media market size and where the HD production trucks they rent are positioned

I'll bet you DC is safe. It's secondary markets like Seattle, St. Louis, New Orleans, Tampa that could be the odd man out some weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks