What's new

Former @Home users, how bad is the new Comcast "High Speed Internet" service??? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
From what I heard recently the @Home replacement offered by Comcast is slower than a 56k dialup. Anyone currently using it? If so, how would you compare it to what was previously available?

I've noticed that Comcast.com is extremely slow now. I wonder if that is related...

John Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
I have comcast digital cable, but havnt been converted over from the @home network yet. I did get a letter in the mail on friday saying that they have to come out and replace my current modem. Guess I'll find out then.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, I wonder why I haven't received any notification yet? I hope I don't wake up one day to find my connection has been snuffed!

BTW, I am heading over to Mom's house this weekend to perform the change. She received notification from Comcast that she has to change over by Saturday. I will post a message concerning speed after I finish up. With what I've heard/read my expectations are very low.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Comcast took over for MediaOne/RR here.

For me, it ranges from blazing fast to stalled. Usually the pauses are brief, other times they get annoying.

The performance is unchanged since the takeover of MediaOne/RR

I can download a 100 meg file in about 45 minutes, if the host cooperates, so all things considered, its a far cry from dialup (most of the time)

JasonD

Agent
I just updated my credentials in regards to @home and so far things look okay. My firewall was preventing the upgrade from proceeding so I recommend that if you are running Norton Firewall, turn the damn thing off. It alerts you about a vbs script which is part of the upgrade process.
I checked my speed and it's slightly higher (for now). Go to http://www.dslreports.com/ and you can run a free speed checker. I ranked at 1.8 mb/s download time but my upload was only 678K.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
A bit off topic,but are there any of the new cable/dsl modems where you do not need a land phone line?I rarely use my home phone for anything but the internet and I have a cell phone I use so I see no need to keep both, I perfer my cell as I make alot of long distance calls so I would like to drop my home phone service in may when my free year of ao(hel)l expires.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
...are there any of the new cable/dsl modems where you do not need a land phone line?
Cable modems don't use phone lines, they use...cable.

Well, so far my new speed really sucks. I has previously been at around 2000 down and 900-1000 up. Now I'm getting under 1000 down and I'm capped at 128 up.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I haven't received any other notification then when Comcast@Home sent out the first e-mail weeks ago.

If there has been a change to my service then it has been transparent to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
The transition has been going badly for me. The darned CD that they sent doen not work on Windows NT. So I had to do the configuration manually. Now I am not able to connect to the proxy server. I have to set my browser to have "direct connection to the internet".

Since I transitioned, I have not been able to connect to DVDTalk. I wonder what's the deal with that.

The new pop & smtp servers do not work, but I am able to connect to the @home smtp & pop3 servers. Usenet is working fine.

Speed totally sucks.

JasonD

Agent
I have an update: My connection has been down for 15+ hours. The recorded message says that the transistion in Northern NJ will only be temporary. I can pull email from the @home server but nothing from the comcast.net I have an IP address and I can also ping the gateway IP. Something's wrong on their end and I hope this is fixed before the weekend :frowning:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Speed still sucks here. I haven't been down, but whenever I open an IE window, it hangs for at least 30 seconds on "Finding Proxy Server".

JasonD

Agent
Jack, after the 30 seconds does your page load up or does it show an error message? By the way I am posting this and other internet activity from work. I tried phoning Comcast this morning to look for answers regarding the outage but no luck. They say, "All circuts are busy."

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

Yeah, the page does eventually come up, but it can take up to a minute or so.

I'm really hoping the speed issues are due to the newness of it all. I'm getting about 1/3 to 1/4 of my previous download at this point, and about 1/10 my previous upload. All the crap Comcast sent me on the change-over specifically states that my speed will not be affected. I get to pay another $5/mo. for much slower service? Yay.

I didn't even bother trying to call "support", I'll give it a few days since it's at least working for me.

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
The FAQ also mentions that newsgroups will no longer be available. Are they talking about usenet? If so, I am switching to DSL. At the moment, @home news server is still available.

On Friday morning, the proxy, smtp & pop3 servers in Northern NJ are still down.

JasonD

Agent
Hey Basi, thanks for the update. And whoever posted the forum link, thanks as well! I can't wait to leave work today and tackle this problem. Comcast tech support apperently told one person that the problem is XP and to "roll back" to @home which for me didn't work 2 days ago, hence the update with the mailed-in disc. I've been trying several tech support numbers but they are too busy to pick up.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I have yet to receive my "transition packet" (BTW, does it include a condom 'cause it sounds like we are all getting screwed!) so I called the number listed on the Comcast site. After holding for 40 minutes I was informed that I had to call a different number regarding my issue! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! Why the hell don't they post that on the site????

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
JasonD, is your internet access up yet? The darned proxy is not alive yet. I live in the same area as you. You can still surf the internet by setting your browser to have "direct connection to the internet". This is the setting I am using to post this message now. The problem with this setting is that a lot of websites such as DVDTalk are off limits.

There used to be some very good DSL deals floating around. Are there any good deals right now? I am dying to get off this lousy comcast network. Even AOL looks attractive right now compared to the Comcast network.

Jason,

Here's a Forum that has alot Comcast user on it, may be helpful?

Speed Guide

The Comcast network does not allow me to access that website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks