What's new

For those of us with basic HBO, are you as frustrated as I am right now? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
O.k. now I don't mean to sound like i'm bitching, but this is the first time i'm really upset about not having HD HBO!!
I, like most of us have just watched probably THE best dramatic miniseries ever produced, i'm speaking of course of Band of Brothers, and it was KILLING me knowing that those with HD sets and HD HBO were hearing this epic as it should be heard, and I was stuck with pathetic 2 channel stereo!
angry.gif

I realize that what I just said comes off a little childish, but can you blame me? I mean not everyone has HD HBO, and being a hometheater lover, how can you not be pissed off knowing that we won't get to hear this in DD or DTS until the dvd's come out God knows when!?!
It's like theirs this huge party going on, and were not invited. Well I have decided that I am going to go on as if this show is not airing and wait for the damn dvd's!
angry.gif

Please excuse the rant.
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 09, 2001 at 10:46 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John
Relax. :) I too only have "regular "HBO" and it sounded fine to me, with nice stereo separation and even adequate bass.
I'm sure it will sound a LOT better when I get the DVD's, but until then, the regular presentation will suffice.
Enjoy. And don't let your desire of a better presentation detract you from enjoying this great
series now :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
From what I understand, the show was broadcast in DD 5.1 on standard HBO as well. Now if your cable or satellite company does not pass on the 5.1 feed, it may be time to switch providers.
Alternatively, a Dish 6000 receiver will not only receive the HD feeds from Dish Network, but will also downconvert them to standard definition at the push of a button. Get Dish Network and you could be hearing this in DD 5.1 next week.
- Steve

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Steve, i'm not familliar with what you mentioned above, how do I get this device you mentioned?
------------------
Leonard from Memento

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
John, check out the DBS and Satellite Dish Area of the forum. I gather you are on cable TV.
Dish Network is a satellite provider. For around $500 or so (maybe less if you sign up for a year of service) you should be able to get into a Dish Network 6000 receiver. It has an optical output that will give you Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, depending on the broadcast. I don't watch the standard def channels, but maybe someone here can confirm that the standard channels offered DD 5.1 sound on BAND OF BROTHERS.
Barring that, you can set up a second dish and receive the HD feed for Dish Network. The Dish 6000 receiver will convert the video to standard definition (that will play back on non-HD televisions) and the audio, at least for BAND OF BROTHERS, will be DD 5.1.
More toys, I know. More money, sure. But if you want the sound without swinging for an HDTV, there are options!
- Steve
[Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 09, 2001 at 11:36 PM]

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
FYI,
You may or may not know this, but you do NOT need HD to get HBO in 5.1.
It sounded great too
wink.gif

BTW-A Dishnetwork 4722 receiver or newer will pass DD 5.1
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Steve, thanks for the advice, however I just can't do that right now, so for me to fully enjoy Band of Brothers, i'm afraid it's dvd or bust.
------------------
Leonard from Memento

Dan B

Screenwriter
It was in 5.1 on DirecTv as well. (both the east and west coast feeds)
-Dan B.
said goodbye to cable & hello to DBS 7 years ago

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
When is the DVD coming out? I'd like to see this but I don't get HBO (actually I don't get any of the pay premium channels) on my DishNetwork....
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Leroy

Second Unit
For you DirecTV owners, I just picked up a Dolby Digital equipped DirecTV reciever (just to watch BoB)from Circuit City for $50. Price is good for new or existing customers. It's the reciver, Dual LNB dish and a super cool remote extender. It works kinda like an RF remote, but you have a seperate transmitter/receiver that will releay the remote signal from up to 150' away.
Anyway, I watched Band of Brothers last night in DD on the regualr feed of HBO. Very nice indeed.
------------------
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.
Visit my pages at:
http://www.hypercon.com/spiff
http://www.smack_daddy.homestead.com

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
John,
Maybe I can make you feel a little better. My cable provider exiles the premium channels out to low bandwidth "digital" channels. The sound is piped through in MONO!! I would have loved a little "stereo separation" while I was watching last night.
I'm tempted to just wait for the DVD's too, but I'm afraid if it's on, I've got to watch.
Very good series, BTW.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
recorded Band Of Brothers last night with UTV from the main east coast feed in 5.1. Best sound I've heard from a HBO program to date, simply amazing...
paul

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have HBO on cable and got only DPL, but was very impressed with the surround action from this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks