What's new

For the most Part I wait for Previewed (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder how many here have changed their purchasing habits. I find that now that Blockbuster has a Guaranteed in stock on DVD's, disks that they stock heavily like Last Castle , Don't Say a Word, etc, they start to Previously View them for sale pretty quickly. And My BB is putting these disks out for $9.99 ! You can guess how dismayed I am to find a disk that I paid $18 2 weeks earler, for almost half price. It's not even worth renting because for $5.00 more than rental price I can own it, and still sell it for what I paid if I don't like it. I'm finding most movies Like SPy Game, Mullholland Drive, Bandits will be available rather quickly and rather cheaply. Unless it's a Super A+++ Title like Lord of the Rings, I can wait.

Anyone else doing this of late?

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Yeah, I've thought of this, but to echo Michael, disc condition is a big worry for me. The DVD's that I have rented in the past sometimes look like they've been put through the ringer, so I'm pretty hesitant about taking this option.

Have you ever encountered problems with this?

Jeffrey Hanneman

Auditioning
I've probably bought about 20 previosuly viewed DVDs from Blockbuster during the last year and have not had any problems with scratches. Plus they give you a 30 day guarantee, so if there is a problem you will probably knnow about it within that time frame.

The only thing that I hate about them is the very annoying Disc Shield that they put on them.

Chris M

Second Unit
I have also bought about 4 disks from Rogers Video in Canada that were Previously Viewed and they played fine on my player. Some are pretty scratched up, but I didn't notice any problems. Some cheap players may not handle the scratches that well, but we all have GOOD players right?
BTW, I bought X previously viewed, and there literally NO scractches on it :) Good buy for me!
Chris.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have bought more than 50 discs pre-viewed from Blockbuster and Hollywood, only had to return one because it was too scratched to play. None of the others have been in bad shape.

My biggest complaints are the disc shields and all the stickers they slap all over the packaging. With amarays it's no big deal, if you screw it up while removing the sticker, you buy a replacement. But when they slap them on Warners click cases....that just plain old sucks.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Most of my purchases are either previewed or at the flea market ($13 for new titles). I rarely pay more than $15 for a DVD.... only stuff like the Battle of the Planets discs or Criterions which I know will never show up at the flea markets and are unlikely to show up previewed somewhere (although I HAVE gotten many great deals on used Criterions).

As for Blockbuster, my only problem with them is the godawful stickers all over the case. Their prices for pre-viewed used to be ridiculously high, but they've come down lately. Last week I was very pleased to pick up The Anniversary Party there for $9.99.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Being they are rented only a few weeks generally they are in good condition

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Blockbusters seem to be running out of the popular titles faster these days and charging more from what I noticed. But it does vary from store to store. What just bugs me is when there is a P&S version of a film they always are selling that version pre-viewed. And those stickers are REALLY annoying. ;)
-Eric

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought 4 Previewed movies from BB. Two of which had skips near the end of the movie. The return policy is nice, but it's just a little inconvenient sometimes. My BB has no "used" movie for sale under 14.99. That sucks. I too hate the stickers all over the place, but the disc shield comes off fairly easily, if you're careful. The problem I have is with the three metallic strips that they put on the top of some discs. Those are a pain to remove, and they leave a lot of sticky glue on the disc which does not come off with goo gone. In conclusion, I'd pay 9.99 for a used movie, but I think anything more is a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks