What's new

For now, 5.1 surround isn't going to carry any format to market success (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I get what you're saying Brian, and unfortunately until there's a 'new generation' format that goes beyond DVD and the upcoming HD formats, hi-res audio probably won't take off. I wouldn't really mind, as long as the studios at least continue to release some titles, and like with Beck, find some real quality artists who can support the format.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think the majors should use hi-rez as a way to try to maintain a market for physical media, not achieve a huge price increase. Seemingly, the majors have a delusion that they can create a format that people will voluntarily pay even more for. That's a doubtful proposition, as many of the astute comments to this thread seem to indicate.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm willing to pay 10% more, as I am getting better quality. But I'm not willing to pay double the CD price for the hi-res equivalent (an all too common practice on this side of the border), so almost all my hi-res purchases are online (even though I'd normally like to support local merchants).

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I don't think that upgrading every 2 decades or so is an important issue. I think it's a personal matter that relates to a person's satisfaction with what they own, unless what they own breaks or is damaged then perhaps an upgrade is more feasible. But again the issue of the cost of equipment shouldn't really be a main factor because as you pointed out if you really want it you can get it. Also the matter of if your current lifestyle/habitat can accommodate the new equipment.

There's yet even another issue I want to raise that I don't think anyone has touched. Actually this could branch off into two legitimate points:

1) Car stereos/portable audio devices: Mobility

I think the current CD format has engrained itself so tightly into our lives because we can take that same CD and listen to it in our cars and portable CD players. Correct me if I'm wrong but with SACD and DVD-A that's not possible, unless there has been advancements in that area. Normal CD's are still the most adaptable media in terms of where you can play them.

2) Competition from satellite radio

This is a new hat thrown into the audio arena so the ramifications and outcome have yet to be fully seen, but the competition from other ways of listening to music puts SACDs and DVD-A at yet a further disadvantage. Going back to Brian's point: more choices, more confusion, less chance of committing to a new format.

I could also raise a point about the proliferation of CD and DVD burners that allow people to burn their own media, thus giving them more control over what they hear. However, I'm not sure as to whether it's possible to actually copy or create SACDs and DVD-As at home so that might be a moot point. But there's no denying the fact that the ability to burn CDs has essentially given consumers 'the key' to offering them much more from an aging format and in the process extends the life of the CD format beyond what was probably perceived back in the early 80's when CDs first began to appear on store shelves.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Gary,;) we never argue, I mean discuss which hi-rez format sounds best-est in da universe ;) here at this forum, except about every 5 minutes! They're both so good that, that really isn't the issue. Although it's made into one that's fuitless, redundant, and sort'a like watching Groundhog Day 24 hours a day, every same day again and again and again too on this very forum. They both sound great, not an issue. SACD has a better, more well thought out platform. DVD-A's platform is limited to staying within the bounds of DVD-V's since it is always piggy-backed there. DVD-A's platform needs some refinements if possibe, IMO.

People do listen to a'lott'a music in their cars and DVD-A head units exist. I think hi-rez is overkill for cars but disc compatibility is a big issue, people want a disc that will play in their car too, that much seems certain. That means CD compliant for now mostly.

I thought satelite radio wasn't doing all so well either... Sure, it's competition, but it's predatory competition since the music kompanies stille own the music being played. They profit coming or going, kuntry or western it makes no difference... well it could if one of the two is more profitable or percieved to be so.

I make really good SACD & DVD-A dubs via analog to MD. They make superior sources if your deck has a good analog section. I know, I know, everybody but me hates actual analog recording anymore...;) :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I make the same kinds of analogue recordings on my MD deck (though it's not as good as yours, if I remember your model correctly from a thread several months back). Like the old days with cassette tapes--good source=good recording.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm one of the few who has a DVD-A compatible head unit in their car (that is, not counting owners of the new Acura TL in which DVD-A is standard). It is a bit overkill, because the problem arises that you need a powerful center channel, and most cars have no center channel. I picked up the Panasonic CQ-DVR909U for about $250 as it plays DVD-video and I wanted that in my car for road trips with friends, and basically I just thought it was cool that it supported DVD-A, I actually knew nothing about the format at the time and this is what sparked my interest. If people are going to upgrade car systems and get good sound out of MC audio, they'll need a solid subwoofer and center channel, and some high end component and at least 2-way rear speakers to get a good sound, not to mention amps, install kits, and such, it's very easy to spend $2000 on a car audio system. I think for now it needs to be marketed at people who already have or are planning to buy systems for their homes.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I read those statistics online somewhere, but I don't remember where. And yes, the numbers could be way off, but that's how I remember them. Based on my own experience I don't think they're far off.

1. Not a single one of my co-workers has a surround setup. Our jobs pay pretty well, so it isn't from lack of money. Our ages range from mid twenties to early fifties, so it isn't some over-represented age demographic in play here either.

2. I visit a lot of homes/apartments in conjunction with some volunteer work I'm involved with. The demographics vary quite a bit. I always notice when someone has surround speakers. It isn't unheard of by any means, but it's nowhere near 1 in 3.

3. I get a heck of a lot of comments from visitors about my ceiling mounted surrounds. The fact that they're on the ceiling raises the novelty factor a bit and may elicit more comments, but it's pretty obvious that surround speakers of any type are anything but the norm.

4. Think through your relatives. For those cases where you know how the DVD player is set up, can you think of any DVD players hooked up to nothing but a TV? Can you think of any hooked up to a surround system? If your relatives are like mine, you can probably think of lots of TV-only setups, and probably very few surround setups (none in my case).

It's all anecdotal evidence, but it's enough to convince me that a surround setup is still a rarity.

So tieing it all back to the main point of this thread - I don't think DVD's success translates to surround music success because I don't believe surround sound is a significant part of DVDs success. Since I can't back up any numbers, I guess that's just my opinion.

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
I go to Fry's & Best Buy sometimes just to buy DVD-A & SACD. I'd rather pay for a DVD-A that contains lyrics, videos, interviews, several mixes (like with DTS Entertaninment: DTS, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0, DVD-A). Why would you buy something that only has one track when you can get something like the one mentioned above. If you want specifics, compare legion of boom DTS' release to the cd release. I actually found the DTS release cheaper than the CD @ Best Buy...

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

Definately agree with you here, I always liked Beck, but not usually a big enough fan to go buy a CD. However when I saw the option to spend like $2 more for the DVD-A with the on-screen artwork and surround mix and video content, it pushed me to go for it. I've had that Crystal Method DVD-A in my hands many times, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, from what I've heard it's an amazing mix, comments on it?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Which is one of my principle arguments against mixing with a center channel - either they don't exist, or they have different sonic qualities than the rest of the setup.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
A properly implemented system in a car would handle the lack of a CC by lowering the level by 3dB, and sending the signal equally to left/right channels to get the phantom "center" image. I have to use "center" carefully, as the listening position displacement might cause a dramatic shift off center.

Cheers,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, how long till we start seeing folks driving down the freeway on the phone, weaving, and using a sound pressure meter in the other hand that's not grasping a cheeseburger to check their surround levels? ;) :)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Well the problem with the CC IMO is that no one can truly sit in the middle of the car, ie. with your head right over the center console in a regular sedan/coupe. My Buena Vista Social Club is the only DVD-A I listen to in my car any more because it is a 4.1 mix. My center channel is very weak and any properly mixed 5.1 disc will sound rather bad with the instrumentation being completely overbearing over the vocals. I test drove a new TL over this past summer for fun, and to head their 10-speaker system and it sounds amazing, like I said, if the proper care is taken into putting together a car audio system, it can be a beautiful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks