What's new

Foo Fighters - One By One DVD-A specs? (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea what the specs on this DVD-A are. Thanks!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Bumping it up since the disc came out today.

Was anyone able to find it? The local Best Buy didn't have it.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I picked this up at my local Coconuts store, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, AcousticSounds has it listed at 96/24, but I've found that the posted specs are sometimes unreliable.
Dave

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
OK. Do you guys know if it includes a DVD-Video compatible track?

Michael, and as soon as you listen to it, let me know how it sounds.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
All dvd-audio discs have some sort of dvd-video compatible audio track.

Also: I saw that new Outkast Stankonia dvd-audio at Best Buy today.

LJ

Chat C

Agent
I couldn't find it at Best Buy either, but I'm going to check at Coconut's today since I heard they had it for much cheaper anyways. I love the live DVD, can't wait for this too!

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
The Pioneer 563-A identifies the disc as 88.2kHz/24bit for both multichannel and stereo.

At first I thought there wasn't even a hi-res stereo track available, as when the disc loads the album starts playing your only options are "Playlist" and "Photos." The way the disc is authored, clicking the Audio button on your remote doesn't do anything - apparently the tracks aren't synced up. You must go to the playlist and then click the "Main" button to access the stereo track and the bonus features, which include videos for All My Life and Walking A Line, as well as the bonus making-of videos from the limited bonus DVD that was included with the CD album.

Overall, the surround mix is satisfactory, but nothing outstanding. Vocals and percussion seem to be kept to the front (my listening area is too small to accomodate a center channel, so I can't comment in depth), with rears used almost exclusively for backup guitars.

My local Best Buy had two copies in stock today priced at $14.99.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Pete, does it sound compressed at all? Also, have you heard the CD version of One By One? If so, then how does it compare? Thanks.

Other than that, the features of the disc sound really great. I might just have to make this my first DVD-A disc!

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Tony, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it sounds compressed, but it definitely doesn't give you that "feels like the band is right there" impression that other discs have given me.

I did buy the CD when it first came out, but it's been some time since I've listened to it. I'll see if I can't find it tonight and do a comparison between the two formats, but my initial impression is that the DVD-A is only a modest improvement over the CD in terms of sound quality, limited probably by the quality of the original recordings.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this up today at BB in Alpharetta, GA for $14.99 minus 10% for the promotional discount. Not bad!

Chat C

Agent
Tony-B,

I was finally able to find it at another BB location for $14.99, Coconut's didn't have it. IMO, it's decent, but not quite as good surround-wise as I had hoped for. I've only listened to it once though so I'll have to let it sink in before I make any final judgements. Actually right now I'm more infatuated with the live DVD, that just plain rocks. Damn the easter eggs though...

Slayer rules! :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Tony-B,

Ron, do you like how it sounds?
At present, I don't have my player set up for surround sound and I'm not sure I ever will...I'm just not a big fan of surround music. I did however check out the stereo layer (once I figured out how to access it...what a pain!) and I'm not sure if I was that impressed by it. I mean, it sounded good, but I seem to recall the redbook version sounding just as good when played through my 24-bit/96kHz upsampling Musical Fidelity CD player. I wasn't able to A/B them, but plan to do so some time soon.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally was able to A/B these two discs the other day...

Even after matching both inputs in decibel level and having someone switch the inputs while my eyes were closed, to my ears (IMO, good, but by no means "golden"!) there was no difference. I even made sure to listen to the details like how the snare drum sounded when hit and all of those little things, but they still both sounded alike. So, if you have a decent 24-bit/96kHz upsampling player, you may not hear a difference between the two formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks