What's new

Following links and the HTF cookie (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this (I'm running Windows 2000 and IE 6.0.2600.)

Whenever I follow a link displayed in a message (either by clicking on it or by opening it in a new window via the contextual menu) my HTF cookie resets and the forum thinks every thread is an old post. So, I lose the ability to use the jump to new messages in a thread.

Interestingly, this doesn't happen on the AVSForum, which I believe is running the same forum software.

Anyone else seeing this and has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

-greg

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Greg:

I don't find this on my system running Windows XP with IE 6.

The only thing that I found is that my cookie wasn't getting reset. I think this is happening because I have the "Browse board with cookies" turned off. See what you have your settings at in the User Control Panel -> Edit Options. If it is enabled try disabling it and see if you have the same thing happening.

Parker

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Packy - I tried switching the setting you suggested and tried a few links. The first one didn't reset the cookie, but the second one did.

Thanks anyway!

-greg

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Hmmm........oh well. Play around with it some. I am working on a cookie bypass but that is still in the works.

Parker

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also experiencing the same problem. I almost always have to login when I return to the Forum, even though my settings say to login automatically. And frequently while surfing through the threads everything will reset without my having to follow a link.

I'm also running Windows XP with IE 6.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I have the same problems as outlined above. Until yesterday, I was using Windows 98 and Explorer 5.0. Today I'm using Windows 2000 and Explorer 6.0 - same problem. I also must log in sporadically. I'm pretty certain Dvd Talk uses the same software. I have no problems there.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sounds like all of you are having cookie problems. Are you sure that a cookie is being saved for you on your PC? You should have only one for HTF with your name followed by the hometheaterforum. If you have additional ones for HTF it could be conflicting. I just find it odd that all of you are using IE 6.0 with Windows 2000 and are having trouble.

Parker

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Parker,

I've always had this problem with both IE 5 & 6 in Win98. I even have the Internet Options-->General-->Temporary Internet Files-->Settings-->Check for newer versions of stored pages set to "Never" in case that was affecting it. No success.

I would not classify Greg Staten and my problems as "cookie problems." All the other cookie functions appear to work properly. I am able to log in automatically and the board remembers my last session.

The cookie reset Greg Staten is experiencing is exactly like mine and occurs even when I use the drop-down lists to move about (this is especially frustrating since this used to prevent the cookie reset even though I prefer to use my "Back" button to go back to the main page to switch forums and it's even worse when doing that). The cookie always resets when I click a link and the browser opens a new window. I don't think there's any way to prevent the latter from occuring. And now the cookie resets when I'm posting a message.

I don't believe it is OS specific, just browser-specific. A wider sample of the membership will probably show this happens to many people. Perhaps you could try to get a response from more of the members? For all I know it may be some very obscure browser setting that none of us realize will affect this? Perhaps something in the privacy settings of IE6 are at fault. Mine is set to "Low." Do the ads you have at the top of the forum pages try to set third-party cookies?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

Nope. All the banners are locally served and have no cookie attached to them.

The only thing that I have been able to say to members to try to help with this is to turn of the "Browse this board with cookies" in the User Control Panel -> Edit Options area.

I am using IE 6.0 on Windows XP, Netscape 4.79, Netscape 6.0 and Opera 6.0 and have none of the problems of the cookie not being saved so I have to log in several times, resetting of the cookie (unless I leave the board an come back) and so forth as described.

I agree we that it is probably browser specific but what settings to say to use I don't have a clue. The reason that I say it is a cookie problem is that the cookie not being saved on their PC or getting reset is what is causing the things to happen that are being outlined.

Parker

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Parker,

Thanks for the info. Browsing without cookies has cleared up the problem with only one minor annoyance: whenever I come back to the HTF, IE won't remember my previously-visited links. Is there a way for that info to be tracked by the login cookie instead? I'm not clear on exactly how cookies work, so I could be way off base.

Thanks again for the help!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Whatever the reason for this problem is, cannot possibly be anything that would affect other users as well. I, for instance, have no such trouble. And I receive the same banners, of course.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks