What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fly Like an Eagle cd/dvd reissue release date pushed back (1 Viewer)

728x90

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Capitol confimed to me that there was a "technical problem that has now been corrected" for the July 18 street date. Can't get much more info than that, so we'll have to compare sets when July 18 rolls around...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the mean time, I can continue to enjoy the MobileFidelity-Brad S. Miller produced 5.1 DTS cd version. Yum!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, it's not missing, but it is severely truncated. Didn't really bother me either - I consider it another different aspect of the MC mix.

For those looking at this set - the remastered Redbook disc does have the complete 1:14 "Space Intro".

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Yeah -- as in, all of the synthesizer parts are gone. All that's left is a few seconds of the 'wind' noise at the end. Not much of a 'Space intro', there.

Leaving off the bulk of the 1:14 Intro to me, is akin to leaving off the bulk of the 1:14 'Speak to Me' from Dark Side of the Moon. I'm curious to know why they've done this twice now, in two surround mixes. Are the multis for that bit gone?

As for the remastered CD, it's got the typical smashed dynamic range of modern remasters. I bet it sounds great in a car.

So, anyone wanna buy my copy of the digipak? $10 + shipping.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
$10 shipped, and I'll take it, Steve ;-)

My bro could use a copy.

Let me offer a vote in support of this set. I have not listened to the CD, so I'll take Steve's word for it that it sucks rocks.

But the 5.1 tracks, even with a butchered Space Intro, is a fun mix. Lots of stuff in the backs (the signature guitar riff for Eagle starts in in the left rear!), but overall fidelity, for a DD mix, is not bad at all.

EDIT: No, the main riff does NOT start out in the LR channel, it only seems that way if your LF channel has an intermittent connection! Can I get a big loud DOHHHHHH from my HTF buddies????

Nothing sounds bad, and some of the tracks sound very, very good indeed, particularly "Dance, Dance, Dance", "Mercury Blues", and "The Window". I am also hearing all sorts of sounds in the outros that I didn't know where there. Overall, I'd say that, if you can live the butchered Space Intro, you might like this set.

But wait, there's more!

I didn't realize when I bought this, but there is a full length concert on the DVD. It too is in 5.1. I cherry picked a handful of my favorite tracks just to sample the show, and its a keeper. OK, its 4:3, and not the best PQ you have ever seen, but the sound is quite good, and the performances are better.

The highlight thus far?

Joe Satriani sitting in on "Fly Like an Eagle". Its a 20 minute take on the song, with a very tasty solo from Joe, as well as from Steve's sideman Kenny Lee Lewis (the dude starts off his solo playing Wes Montgomery licks!), and there is even a rap in there from Steve's keyboard man.

OK, I could live without the hip-hop, but overall, its a damn good take on a song that you know you have heard a million times.

I have not watched any of the interview stuff, and as I said, I will concede that the CD probably is crap, but overall, this is not a bad set at all.

Would I rather it were a DVD-A/CD two-fer? Of course, but I can heartily recommend this set if you are a fan of the music.

Now Steve, do you do Pay-Pal????

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
In my continuing quest to say nice things about this set...

I listened to the CD yesterday, and it does not sound bad at all. Very nice frequency balance, great imaging, very clear cymbals, decent low end.

I have no idea what this will look like when someone examines the waveforms, but since my ears are happy with it, the waveforms matter not.

The 1973 demo of "Fly Like an Eagle" is also a very cool addition. They even played it on XM Radio Deep Tracks this morning.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks